Advantage of using CMD instead of BAT?

Could someone please advise why using CMD files is better than using BAT and provide links or some sample code on what different commands there are in a cmd file.

I use a cmd file currently in my unattend as described all over this forum to populate my guirunonceex keys.

Any advice on this would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul :)

I don't think there realy is any difference.

CMD are typically found more on NT machines, while BATs are DOS/9x machines. It could jsut be Microsoft trying to get away from DOS. The commands work in both, and XP can run both, but 98 can't run CMD unless you rename it to BAT

EDIT:: Just found this

There doesn't appear to be any difference until you use a shortcut to launch the program, then .bat files get COMMAND.COM as their command processor, and so are running in an environment similar to DOS 5 with no NT extensions, but if the extension is .cmd, then the shortcut launches the program with CMD.EXE and all the NT extensions are present and functional

I just said that my first CD version had .bat files but I switched to JScript (.js) because their is no black window, you can make everything with it, and it looks like c++ (or Visual Basic if you use VBScript .vbs) wich is really nicer than batch...

I just said that my first CD version had .bat files but I switched to JScript (.js) because their is no black window, you can make everything with it, and it looks like c++ (or Visual Basic if you use VBScript .vbs) wich is really nicer than batch...

Where could one get more info on that? Do you use them at the T13 mark or just the GuiUnattended part?

Look at this site for info. If you want more you could search google for Windows Scripting Host (WSH) witch is the scripting engine.

I use them at T-12 (cmdlines.txt), RunOnceEx, and also tryed it at t-9 (winnt.sif's SetupParams) with working results (except for t-9; programs installed then will not function correctly)