Windows XP SP2

CuBie

I've been reading all over the place that sp2 wont install on pirate copys (not that it matters to me - im a valid user! :rolleyes:).. But then i came across this link:

http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article41.html

"It was a tough choice, but we finally decided that even if someone has pirated copy of Windows, it is more important to keep him safe than it is to be concerned about the revenue issue," he added.

Is this true?

Edit: Sorry if this post is breaking any piracy rules or anything!

Thanks, Chris. :)

There is a known list of pirated VLKs. Those will definately be blocked from ugrading to SP2.

If you need cheap MS software... sign up on the Microsoft Partners website and order your own subscription to the MS Action Pack.

it has been said that microsoft will only ban 20 most used cd-keys from installing sp2.

The PID check in the beta sp2's out now willbe taken out as this has caused them too much trouble already.

So the key is checked.. But not the PID?

Cool!

Chris.

it has been said that microsoft will only ban 20 most used cd-keys from installing sp2.

The PID check in the beta sp2's out now willbe taken out as this has caused them too much trouble already.

If this is true, this would be a better ways, because I know of some companies (and my school) who use PIDs with -640- or something else in the middle and this would be a better way of blocking unlicensed users! :)

If this is true, this would be a better ways, because I know of some companies (and my school) who use PIDs with -640- or something else in the middle and this would be a better way of blocking unlicensed users! :rolleyes:

lol! Your school is unlicensed? Tut, tut... lol Maybe you could use that to you're advantage.. :)

Chris!

If this is true, this would be a better ways, because I know of some companies (and my school) who use PIDs with -640- or something else in the middle and this would be a better way of blocking unlicensed users! :rolleyes:

lol! Your school is unlicensed? Tut, tut... lol Maybe you could use that to you're advantage.. :)

Chris!

No, they're not unlicensed... PIDs aren't only the middle three digits (ie. -640-)... They consist of most numbers, and some of the PIDs with specific numbers including -640- were already blocked in SP1... This doesn't mean that all copies of Windows XP with -640- were blocked... :D

Chris!

No, they're not unlicensed... PIDs aren't only the middle three digits (ie. -640-)... They consist of most numbers, and some of the PIDs with specific numbers including -640- were already blocked in SP1... This doesn't mean that all copies of Windows XP with -640- were blocked... :D

Well..

I think 640's are being blocked in sp2.. Because there pirated. Well thats what i've been told! :D

Chris.

Chris!

Well..

I think 640's are being blocked in sp2.. Because there pirated. Well thats what i've been told! :D

Chris.

Incorrect. You've got the situation reversed.