Colorful Batch

mazin

I saw many users switching from Batch method to RunOnceEx method for the so-called "Professional Looking". Then, they scan forums searching for proper switches and suitable strings that can be used under RunOnceEx method.

I like the Batch method because it's flexible and needs little work that can be repeated exactly with all applications installation. Nothing fails under the Batch method!

Well! If you prefer RunOnceEx to Batch method for only the sake of colors, here's how to make your batch colorful.

color hex digits:

-------------------

0 = Black

1 = Blue

2 = Green

3 = Aqua

4 = Red

5 = Purple

6 = Yellow

7 = White

8 = Gray

9 = Light Blue

A = Light Green

B = Light Aqua

C = Light Red

D = Light Purple

E = Light Yellow

F = Bright White

Syntax: color xx

We use one digit for the background color (the left one), and one digit for the foreground color (the right one). For example, "color 1e" means blue background with light yellow foreground (the text).

If we use the same color for both background and foreground, "color ee" for example, the batch will show black background with white foreground (color 07), the default values.

The same will happen if we type the command without values, "color" for exmple.

Example 1 - one bundle

Create a batch file (batch.cmd) and include the following lines, then run it to see the result:

cls
@echo off
Title Hello The World
color 1e
ECHO This is a test colorful batch...
PAUSE
EXIT

Sweet?!

Example 2 - two or more bundles

Create a batch file (batch.cmd) and include the following lines, then run it to see the result:

cls
@echo off
Title Graphics group is being installed now
color 1e
ECHO Adobe Photoshop 7.0
ECHO ACDSee 6.0.3
PAUSE
Title Internet group is being installed now
color 57
ECHO Stay Connected! 3.5
ECHO MSN Messenger 6.2
PAUSE
EXIT

In your real batch file, you won't use PAUSE command, of course. PAUSE command is put here only to give you enough time to see that the window title and colors are changed when the batch reaches a new group of programs.

These batch examples can be given more customization if you wish.

Update: You can, also, use "cls" before each Title.

Thank you VAD. I'll develop it much more.

Thanks Alanoll.

I didn't see that post. I just got this info when I typed color /? at the command prompt. So, I found it useful to share.

However, I'll develop the idea in the near future.

Edited by mazin

If you really want to get into colors and menus and all sorts of other stuff, check out this 3rd party program called WBAT. Found here: http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc

I have no idea how to use it, I've just seen the possibilities. Buttons, colors, input boxes, etc.. If someone could develop this method I bet batch people would be very happy, including me. :)

Lucky, RayOK!

I knew this app and its author. I emailed him before opening this thread, and he told me about color /?

But, he told me some other info that I'll develop for a batch formatting. So, wait for me!

• 4 months later...