I need to access an administrator folder on a HD

ceez

zup peeps.

I have a 2nd hd in which a couple of important docs and files are located on the administrators desktop. I popped this hd as a slave but I cant get past the administrator folder...

c:\documents and settings\administrator

This HD was running XP, now is on a machine running 2kpro.

How can I access those files?

any help greatly appreciated.

thkz

Sounds like it's formatted with NTFS. I've run into issues with NTFS v.5 (XP) in a system normally running NTFS v.4 (Win2K). You need to take ownership of the drive and all subfolders on it. It's an option located in the security tab when you look at the properties of the drive. Note this still may not work, as you might have to put the drive in a pc running xp, and have that one take ownership of the drive.

Dont know anything about the NTFS, but taking ownership of the drive/folder should work. I've done that at work before when I needed something in a folder I didnt have access to. (Myself as an Admin, I took ownership of it, then gave myself permisionto it. Excelent little trick when somone is trying to keep you from getting somewhere or seeing something...).

I didnt say that you could. I just stated that I didnt know anything about the deal with NTFS 4 & 5.

The "System Volume Information" folder added by NTFS5 (WinXP) cannot be removed from a partition/drive in Win2K (short of anything less than a format). For example, say you did a quick format on a drive that was currently in your XP box. You take it out and put it in your Win2K server. Even though you formatted the drive clean, by default XP creates the SVI folder (UNLESS, you have turned off system restore). You try to broswe into the folder to see what data is in it, you get access denied messages, even if you take ownership of the folder/drive.

Not a big deal, you can just reformat it in Win2K... but what if you put a boatload of data on it to transfer to the server in the first place? It's not a real big problem.. just more of an annoyance problem.. but I've heard it leads to more problems down the road with defragging and disk quota's if you use them.

Just put the drive in a Rig running xp and like one of the other guys said you can access it you need to be an addmin on the frist drive and you will then have access to the second one