Automatic logon for XP

Tel

Hi all

I have set a user on a WinXP Pro machine to a Power User status from Administrator. But now when you come to the welcome screen it has both the Administrator and the User as options to log on.

So, I've changed the way users logon to not use the Welcome Screen. Is there a way to allow a user to automatically logon, similar to the way you can set Win2000Pro users to logon automatically?

Thx

Envinyatar

If you use Tweak UI from microsoft, there is an option that allows you to log in under a user. Alternatively, you can use the registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

set DefaultUserName, and DefaultPassword

To fix the problem with the Administrator showing up on the welcome screen, you need to create another Administrator. Seems kinda stupid. I would make another one, and disable the main one. Then make it so the other admin isn't shown on the welcome screen.

To keep it off the Welcome screen, you can use Tweak UI again, or the registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

put the username and a value of 0 in.

You can also go to Start, Run, and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 to bring up the "Users and Passwords" control panel applet. It's exactly the same as it was in Windows 2000; just uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". It will then ask for the user name and password that you wish to log into automatically.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I installed Tweak UI yesterday and it worked, but I think for future use I will use that CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 command so I don't have to install TweakUI on the clients' machines.

Thanks again :)

I believe if you disable 'Fast User Switching' service you will get a Windows 2000ish logon. When a pc joins the domain, this service is disabled by default and the Windows 2000ish logon is displayed.

Autologon specific keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"DefaultUserName"="administrator"

"AltDefaultUserName"="administrator"

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

"DefaultPassword"="password"

"DefaultDomainName"="DOMAIN"

"AltDefaultDomainName"="DOMAIN"

Mike Niccum :)

If you are the only user on Windows XP, you could save some time by having Windows XP log you into your user account automatically.

There are a few requirements for this to work:

The Welcome screen must be available

Select Start > Control Panel and click User Accounts

Click Change the way users log on or off

Check to make sure that Use the Welcome screen is selected

Guest account access must be turned off

Click the Guest account

Click Turn off the Guest account

There must be only one user account on the computer

The user account must not have a password

Click the user account

Click Remove the password

Note: This will only work when the computer is NOT on a domain.

Answered here

Yes that's right max, but that's also only if the user is a computer administrator. I changed my user to a Power User and it automatically came up with the Administrator and the user's login on the Welcome Screen

So, from suggestions that I've had from this forum and others is to either install TweakUI or use the control userpasswords2 from the run command.