Multi-Boot With Win98

Alanoll

hmmmm

i would actually like people to customize it. And perhaps find out why it didn't work.

I'll download a normal Win98 bootdisk from bootdisk.com and try to perform the same thing. I'll probally run into the same problem. :)

i think I know what the problem is.....

Which would be why my image works, and your's doesn't.

And before I make a further test, for it to work with the this....on a normal disk....

change

/L:D

on MSCDEX.EXE line, to

/L:M

The problem is. I'm betting that when you first run it, you either have a NTFS partition, or no partition at all. This would then make the RAMDRIVE if it's loading C, and the CDROM D. If you call OEMSETUP, it sets a setting on the partition IT creates that it started from drive D. But when it creates the partition and restarts, RAMDRIVE is now D, and the CDROM is E. And since this is old school DOS technology, OEMSETUP doesn't know to update the drive it's using. Stupid piece of junk. So by changing the line above, the CDROM will be assigned M even if there are no more drives below it, or if you have drives up to N.

Just as a note, you should not have to use THIS method or have a trouble if we had just been lazy and used SETUP.EXE instead of OEMSETUP.EXE and format with FDISK. lol. YEAH LAZINESS!!

Just tried your latest suggestion in VPC not working properly.

However I injected the missing MSCDEX.EXE file into the winimage boot file & looked promising in virtual PC. It however complained it could not install win 98se on that partition. May have something to do with what you were saying regarding the NTFS partitiioning I'm not sure? I might try burning my image to a cd & test on a live machine.

Alanoll, I think I'm on a winner the only problem that VPC shows on win98 setup page is low on disk space warning which should not be a problem. I will burn this to a cd & try on another machine. Thanks for your assistance. I will post the final results.

gooood.

I really think alot of people don't ahve OEMSETUP.EXE on their disk, so they just use SETUP.exe and never run into the problem. Or they just used SETUP.EXE anyway.

OEMSETUP.EXE is good for partitioning, but it doesn't allow for the option of which partition or the like. And it's quite stupid evidently with it's source :)