MSN Messenger

wnick000

Whenever I try to send a normal instant message with MSN Messenger 6.2 (and 6.1), there is a horrible lag, around 4 seconds, before what I type gets sent. I can receive messages form others without this delay. I have a webcam, and that seems to broadcast fine (no lag). On my end, with cam on, sending text causes the cam to stop. The receiver, however, gets no pause in video. Only outgoing text is a problem.

I have uninstalled, including deleting all the registry entries under CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_MACHINE for MSN Messenger. It is a Logitech Webcam, and I alos updated the software for it. Nothing has helped.

Specs of machine:

Gateway

XP Professional SP1a and all updates

2.4 P4 with HT

256 MB PC2100

80 GB 4,200 RPM

Integrated Graphics

I don't think so. Do you know how to check if the Ink add-on is enables, installed, etc.? I just reformatted the computer a few weeks ago, and it worked fine untill about 2 weeks ago. I also know the computer has the CoolWebSearch virus, more specificaly the CWS.searchx. That keeps coming back. I think thet both problems started areound the same time (it's my dad's work computer, and he doesn't know). And woth CoolWebSearch, I ran CWShredder, and it comes back. So that might be another problem.

well it could be a virus then.. some viruses take a lot of the system memory or CPU usage and make the computer slow, laggy and unstable.. i suggest you run a few programs.. a well known anti-virus (Norton, AVG, McAfee etc) and make sure the definitions are updated and some sort of spyware removal programs like Spybot S+D, Ad-aware, HiJack etc.. that may help..

As I said before, this my dad's work computer, so I won;t have access to it for a few days.

I know he has Norton AntiVirus 8.1 Corporate Client installed. I help maintain the server, so I know the definitions are up to date. I ran Ad-Aware and Spy Bot Search & Destroy. I also ran HijackThis. I cleared all traces of CWS. It came back. But you are right, I think that the two problems might be related. I'll keep posting my results, but it might be a few days. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I sometimes get some delay when someone invites me to a mass convo and they keep spamming emoticons or something.

My delays are because of the logging of the messages. You could try to disable logging in msn and see if that helps.

I've been sick with strep and a fever for the last few days, sorry I haven't posted.

I have pretty much decided that the culprit is the CoolWebSearch. I'm just going to reformat in a week or two. Thanks for all the input.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having thoes typing delays also, i did just about everything and it still does the same thing - even when i go in a msn chat room its takes 3 - 5 seconds befor the message actually sends..if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix it, i would appriciate it..thanks :)

For CoolWebSearch I would suggest you to get SpywareBlaster and SpyBot Search N Destroy 1.3 . .. They give u realtime protection against spywares as antivirus provides against virus ...

And about the Msngr problem .. Does Yahoo Messenger too experience the same problem ..? Then the problem is somewhere else .. spyware or some resource hungry TSR ..

Messenger Plus is a seperate download and highly recommended ..

• 2 months later...