Laggy scrollbars, for no apparent reason

I am experiencing a weird issue that can't be reliably reproduced. Occasionally scrollbars in listviews and some "rich" textboxes (such as the application JPEGsnoop) behave erratically. When I click on the blank space to move the view one page further or behind, the scrollbar registers multiple clicks and keeps scrolling until the end. A large area of the GUI window around the scrollbar becomes inverted (dark grey/blue) and stays that way until refreshed. Normally only the scrollbar itself changes color. The listview may scroll very sluggishly, with a smoothscroll animation, taking several seconds to advance.

It happens only sometimes. Basic system stability is not impacted. My current uptime is 108 days.

I suspect it might be an interaction between multiple software programs. Another reason might be the use of Windows Classic theme without DWM (as is default on Server), and NT 6.1 might have not been tested without the Aero. I've read that it lacks basic GDI acceleration that was present in earlier versions of Windows. The Nvidia display driver might also not be tested in Windows Classic. I can't say which of these to blame for sure.

I have: Server 2008 R2, Core 2 Duo E6600, 8 GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti, E-MU 0404, 5 various HDD, 1 XRayDisc SSD.

I feel like I switched from XP only just now, a couple years ago. But today I was told that 2008 R2 is already OLD! It feels very modern to me, and could handle a PC five to ten times faster. And 3rd party software developer won't look into issues with it. Maybe the Windows 7 forum should be moved into the "Older systems" section already.

4 hours ago, j7n said:

Occasionally scrollbars in listviews and some "rich" textboxes (such as the application JPEGsnoop) behave erratically. When I click on the blank space to move the view one page further or behind, the scrollbar registers multiple clicks and keeps scrolling until the end. A large area of the GUI window around the scrollbar becomes inverted (dark grey/blue) and stays that way until refreshed. Normally only the scrollbar itself changes colour. The listview may scroll very sluggishly, with a smoothscroll animation, taking several seconds to advance.

I'd start with a well-known, 100% proven to be working video driver. Then try another videocard, I had a similar issue, the reason was - one dead VRAM module Korean Hynix.

Unfortunately I can't assist in details, I'm still recovering from an eye trauma.

4 hours ago, j7n said:

Maybe the Windows 7 forum should be moved into the "Older systems" section already.

Yes, looks very weird it's still not there, I mean for a fifteen years old totally out-of-support buggy OS.

From my experience, 382.xx versions and below are the only ones that were written for Windows Vista and 7. Later are just ported 10 drivers.

To be 100% sure, try R375 (376.xx) series.

On 5/6/2024 at 1:41 AM, j7n said:

I use driver 368.81.

Sorry to hear about your health issue.

Thanks! I'm a bit better today. So what's the progress? 368.81, I never had any good experience with it. It's heavily tweaked for Pascal cards under Win10, leaving older generations falling far behind due to the lack of optimizations, there's a lot videos about that.

Try something 355.xx.

I installed this driver 355.73, but didn't observe an improvement. I wanted to let the system run for a while because the glitch only appears part of the time. Unfortunately it also happened that I lost all my cookies in New Moon (for an unrelated reason of the system disk filling up with a swap file). :o

7 hours ago, j7n said:

I wanted to let the system run for a while because the glitch only appears part of the time.

That's also happened for me when one of the VRAM chips on my GPU began to slowly die.

7 hours ago, j7n said:

Unfortunately it also happened that I lost all my cookies in New Moon (for an unrelated reason of the system disk filling up with a swap file). :o

HDD gone bad, but don't run CHDSK, it will do more harm, I recommend to make a backup ASAP.

The BS behavior looks like this if I try to grab the scrollbar "brick". Frozen and doesn't scroll. I have to close and reopen the application for it to work normally. I suspect one of the web browsers that has h/w acceleration in the background might trigger it. If I click on the free space to move one page, it keeps scrolling as if I held down the LMB.

The problem doesn't happen on Win2003 on the same computer.

I don't have the Vista Aero theme because I don't want the Desktop Experience Pack "bloat" on the computer. I suspect the issue might go away with it.

This guy thought that the Windows controls even with Aero (apparently) are crippled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay-gqx18UTM

scrollbars.png

When I once tried Windows 7 on a GTX 9800 ++, it had weirdly shaking windows, all windows could just start to shake all at once for no apparent reason. Vista got no problems on the same PC. Many years later I installed an updated Win 7 ISO on that PC, and there was no such issue anymore. Fixed in the updates? Windows 7 and server 2008 R2 are very buggy.