ASRock Z690 PG Riptide motherboard not working

Hi,

I have an ASRock Z690 PG Riptide motherboard, and I am trying to turn on my PC. However, when I tried to do it at first, it didn’t work and flashes green at the BIOS flashback area. Eventually after switching PSU cables it finally started working (idk how it started working exactly), but then I installed a 500 GB HDD and an 80 GB HDD, and now it doesn’t work anymore. This is my build list (I got a different GPU, but i’s still an RTX 4070) https://newegg.io/8f3ca36, also an additional 4 TB HDD is connected, and I have a 1200 W power supply and not a 750 W one. 

This is what’s going on:

https://youtu.be/kYs8LrMT-ds?si=dwK0W3VSeHRdEXNw

Idk why this is happening. Could it be a voltage issue, like could my outlet not have enough voltage?

UPDATE: When I take those two hard drives out, it works. I put it back in and it works now. Why didn’t it work in the first place though?

It has to be seen, of course, but the symptoms seem a lot like those of a defective PSU and/or of an issue with one of the disks.

The idea - more or less - is that during boot all devices are powered at the same time and there is a "absorption peak" at the PSU.

Even if hard disk motors are (should be) of types that minimize the initial start current, they will anyway need a supplemental amount of power when spinning up.

In multi-hdd builds (with a much larger amount of disks) staggered spin-up is used normally, see:

https://www.45drives.com/blog/storage/staggered-spinup-and-its-effect-on-power-draw/

Besides there could have been a problem on the bearing of the disk.

Basically when a disk stays unused/not powered for a length of time, the bearing(s) of the motor (and platters) may be opposing a much higher resistance to initial spinning, thus attempting to draw much more current from the PSU, usually this condition is temporary and resolves by itself, as the lubricants/fluids in the bearings start heating and circulating again.

I would test anyway the PSU, but the common, el-cheapo CPU testers around only detect (and/ or measure) the voltage on the various rails/connectors which may be just fine without load, but drop when the load suddenly increases so that test might not be conclusive.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 4:38 AM, jaclaz said:

It has to be seen, of course, but the symptoms seem a lot like those of a defective PSU and/or of an issue with one of the disks.

The idea - more or less - is that during boot all devices are powered at the same time and there is a "absorption peak" at the PSU.

Even if hard disk motors are (should be) of types that minimize the initial start current, they will anyway need a supplemental amount of power when spinning up.

In multi-hdd builds (with a much larger amount of disks) staggered spin-up is used normally, see:

https://www.45drives.com/blog/storage/staggered-spinup-and-its-effect-on-power-draw/

Besides there could have been a problem on the bearing of the disk.

Basically when a disk stays unused/not powered for a length of time, the bearing(s) of the motor (and platters) may be opposing a much higher resistance to initial spinning, thus attempting to draw much more current from the PSU, usually this condition is temporary and resolves by itself, as the lubricants/fluids in the bearings start heating and circulating again.

I would test anyway the PSU, but the common, el-cheapo CPU testers around only detect (and/ or measure) the voltage on the various rails/connectors which may be just fine without load, but drop when the load suddenly increases so that test might not be conclusive.

Well, it worked for a while. But now it doesn’t work again.

UPDATE: Unplugged everything (USB, headphones, HDMI), now it works.

Edited by GD 2W10