Windows blocks right-click context menu for zip files on network share

Nomen

I've got a Win-7 computer that can access shared folders on other PC's on the local lan. If I navigate to a shared folder and view files, then right-click on pretty much any file I get the usual context menu (copy, cut, properties, etc). But if I right-click on a zip file, a Windows Security box opens, with a message saying

- Opening these files might be harmful to your computer

- Your internet security settings blocked one or more files from being opened

And I'm pretty much stopped from doing anything with the files I've selected or high-lighted. If I open the "internet properties" window, I can set the properties for - Internet - local intranet - trusted sites - restricted sites, I assumed I am dealing with the local intranet. Its security setting was set to medium low. I changed it to Low. This did not change anything. There are times when want to highlight and copy collections of files from a shared network folder, but if the selection includes a single .zip file, I'm stopped dead in my tracks when I want to right-click and select Copy. Instead I get the stupid security warning. How do I change this behavior of windows blocking the context menu from coming up when I highlight a single file or group of files on a network share that includes zip files?

go to internet options / security / local intranet / sites.
uncheck "automatically detect intranet network".
check the three "include" options below.
had this issue on xp, should work on win 7.

I tried the following, on a win-7 system and also a win-10 system that were both showing this behavior:

internet properties / security tab / local intranet / sites

- uncheck "automatically detect intranet network"

local intranet / custom level / miscellaneous section

- drag and drop or copy and paste files (enable)

- launching programs and unsafe files (enable)

The above did not change anything. I then found this:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/these-files-cant-be-opened-in-windows

Which had the following reg edits (done from an administrative command prompt):

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations" /v "DefaultFileTypeRisk" /t REG_DWORD /d "1808" /f

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments" /v "SaveZoneInformation" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

And that DID fix the issue.  On both systems.  A reboot was not required. It's really confusing why right-clicking on a zip file on a network share comes back with a security message warning of "opening" the file. I'm not trying to open the file when I right-click on it to bring up the context options. Why is that such a big security issue?

(on both systems, I think that winrar was the default handler for zip files, would that make a difference here?)

Edited by Nomen

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised that the .zip "integration" in Windows does anyway access *something* (possibly the index) in the .zip file when right clicking on it.

If this is the case, then maybe some specially crafted .zip file could cause issues (I am thinking of so-called Zip Bombs or similar).

Something similar (cannot say if it is your case) was (is?) caused by the (stupid) "it came from internet" alternate data stream in NTFS (Zone Identifier).

jaclaz