Change search folder default location

Hunterw

Let's say I open the start menu and search for "stuff." I want files with stuff in the title. No result, big surprise. Let's "see more results."

This opens the search window and displays more results, seemingly from the same location. Probably c:. But I have other drives and want to search them. So I click on search "computer" and then I get what I am looking for.

I am tired of clicking on computer every time. I want to change the default search location. But I have no clue how. If you check the actual address when it's searching the computer it is

"search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Computer&crumb=System.Generic.String%3Astuff&crumb=location:A%3A%5C&crumb=location:C%3A%5C&crumb=location:D%3A%5C&crumb=location:E%3A%5C&crumb=location:F%3A%5C&crumb=location:G%3A%5C&crumb=location:O%3A%5C&crumb=location:csc%3A%2F%2F{S-1-5-21-1637662044-228854718-1217829781-1000}"

I looked for "search-ms" in the registry hoping for a default search key and, well, that was fruitless. Apparently it just adds a search term for every drive in addition to a search at c:\users\hunter\appdata (not sure what that folder has to do with anything, but it's in every default search window).

Some way to make it search "computer" by default?

you were on right path but lazy :P

go to your appdata where those search folders are - which are btw Virtual Folders, thus a file
open them (especially the Everywhere.search-ms) in text editor
from there you will see an ID (CLSID)
in my case it's the: {7c61d0a6-af7e-483a-b705-d2c5c2264656}

now you can search the registry for this bullcrap and do whatever ... :P

Edited by vinifera