Easyanticheat causes crash on Halo the Masterchief Collection

Zastava 101

After updating the game on December 19th 2022 this issue started occurring.

When starting the game normally, it instantly crashes with the error message "EasyAntiCheat has stopped working"
The game doesnt start at all, not even the loading screen.

When starting the game from steam and selecting "Start MCC (No EasyAntiCheat)" the game works perfectly fine.

Event viewer shows the following:

Faulting application name: mcclauncher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62161bfa
Faulting module name: mcclauncher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62161bfa
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0002297b
Faulting process id: 0x1728
Faulting application start time: 0x01d922a7fafee587
Faulting application path: H:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection\mcclauncher.exe
Faulting module path: H:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection\mcclauncher.exe
Report Id: 38d96dd7-8e9b-11ed-a9a6-e848499c0603

.net and Visual C++ are fully updated.
Game file integrity check (Steam) and OS system file integrity check (sfc /scannow) all passed multiple times.
Game was reinstalled multiple times already and its always up to date
EasyAntiCheat was also reinstalled manually multiple times, it still didnt work

please help

It seems the error logged is a red herring. The exception is just reporting that the program crashed. not what lead to the crash.

Debugging game issues can sometimes be an issue. The first thing I do is look to see if any log files are being generated. These can be in the steam folder, in Documents, or in either Local or Roaming Temp folders in AppData of the user account. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a clue this way, or if really lucky you can find a dump. Unforuntately, debugging anticheat aspects can be especially difficult since if you were to attach windbg to it, this is enough for the anticheat software to stop the game from launching.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see why, As it says in the bottom "The current filter excludes all 216,001 events". As is common with procmon, the target PID is not always the one that you need to filter for. Things I can see in the PML:

- two missing DLLs (api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-1.DLL, api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-1.DLL) of course these are the internal names. I do not know what actual file the launcher is looking for. There are others that are better at decoding these than me.
- three files the launcher can't find (doesn't mean they aren't present, but the error could be caused by something else. All of these are in the game folder) : petromod_nvidia_profile_identifier,ogl, oculusmedium.exe, aurora.dll

The above errors do not seem to impact the application launching, so they may be normal to see when this game launches.
There is also a series of "INVALID DEVICE REQUEST" errors from Steam itself. I do not think it is related but this Result is not one I have seen. It may be normal for Steam to do this, I also have not tried to Procmon Steam before so it might be normal. Steam reports this while attempting to access Drive C:

Unfortunately, Procmon doesn't seem to catch or indicate anything. Svchost calls faultrep.dll at 7/26/2023 05:51:17.3827742 immediately after mcclauncher crashes but there is no indication as to why that program has crashed.

Interesting that later WerFault.exe (the process that ends up writing the event log you found) also cannot find the core-fibers DLL.

Looks like Windows may have made a .dmp file for the crash here: C:\Users\CalmCreeper360\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

• 1 month later...

So time passed by, theres no word from 343, no word from EasyAnticheat or EpicGames and in the mean time i reinstalled my entire operating system.
It turns out, that EasyAntiCheat simply does not support Windows 7 anymore and causes the crash.
I can not explain it in any other way this must be the only reason why its always crashing at the startup.
Its also definitely due to easyanticheat, as, again, the game launches perfectly fine in the "easyanticheat disabled" mode, but then i cant play multiplayer, which is like the main reason i bought mcc in the first place

So yeah RIP