Spotify on Windows ME!

ojt_1998

So further on from my post in the XP forum, I decided to play around on Windows ME to see if I could get the new Java based Spotify client working and to my surprise it works and plays!

Steps included installing Java 6 then Java 8 as per the instructions on the forum. I have manually set appdata in command line to a folder called appdata in C root however I need to test if this is required or not.

I don’t believe there has been a spotify client up to now for Win 9x so this may be quite a novelty for some!

608AFEC2-F2F1-4896-9F3B-A20B82CB8664-min.jpeg

On 3/31/2023 at 1:05 PM, ojt_1998 said:

So further on from my post in the XP forum, I decided to play around on Windows ME to see if I could get the new Java based Spotify client working and to my surprise it works and plays!

Steps included installing Java 6 then Java 8 as per the instructions on the forum. I have manually set appdata in command line to a folder called appdata in C root however I need to test if this is required or not.

I don’t believe there has been a spotify client up to now for Win 9x so this may be quite a novelty for some!

608AFEC2-F2F1-4896-9F3B-A20B82CB8664-min.jpeg

good work @ojt_1998! now spotify can be used on 98/me!

Edited by legacyfan

Yes the link mina7601 posted is the download link.

I haven't tested the latest 1.6 version.

After getting kernelex installed you need to get the core updates. Once these are setup you should be along the right path to then get Java going. You need to install Java 6 first which I believe is the last installable version and then download jre8. Once downloaded and extracted (the instructions are on the forum) you need to set the exe's to WinXPSP2 compatibility as per firefox. Once java is set you need to add a path in msconfig.

The path for msconfig is essentially just to redirect the appdata folder for the app as it uses this location to store config data. I kept things easy and made a folder called appdata in my c: root. Msconfig has the environment tab which allows you to then set this variable.

After, start the jar app using jre8 and not the version 6 you installed earlier. Once done you should be good to go