Windows 98 fanless laptop

sonyu

I'm looking for a fanless Windows 98 laptop

15,4", 14", or 13" screen will be great.

Just found this one:

Wyse X90L and X90Le

https://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_wyse_x90l.html

hardware info can be found also here:

VIA C7-M ULV
1200 MHz

VN896

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/Xn0L/xn0l.shtml

Will I be able to get Windows 98 running with the VGA / DVI video output working or there are no gpu and chipset drivers ?

CN896 (can be found here http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl )

Thanks

Edited by sonyu

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

Will I be able to get Windows 98 running with the VGA / DVI video output working or there are no gpu and chipset drivers ?

The video chip is one of "CN896/VN896/P4M900". The oldest Windows "officially" supported is 2000.

VBEMP or SciTech-DisplayDoctor7 might work with it. But I am unsure if you will have dual display support. Though, it probably provides video cloning. No 3D drivers, for Win9x.

The other issue is the audio chip. It is also not "officially" supported. There is a Win16 HDA audio driver. Some people have had luck getting that to work. Alternatively, you could buy a cheap USB audio adapter. Win98 has generic support for that.

Does VBEMP enable VGA video output?

@awkduck

And why there is a Windows 98 CN896 driver here: http://download.viatech.com/ if you choose:

1 Microsoft Windows

2 Windows 98SE

3 Integrated Graphics

4 CN896

Direct link:

https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/cn896_win9x_15-56-68-06.zip

or this one

https://theretroweb.com/drivers/14

https://theretroweb.com/uploads/drivers/via-hyperionpro-v524a-631a049fe8b61078724933.zip

And I have seen users talking about CN896 compatibility here:

I'm looking for a fanless Windows 98 laptop with at least 1000MHz and 512mb RAM

Edited by sonyu

• sonyu changed the title to Windows 98 fanless laptop

The ParkyTowers site lists "integrated in CN896" in the Video section.

If you scroll down a bit, on the ParkyTower page, you'll find the results of "lspci". You'll have to click it to expand. While CN896 is listed in there, it is combined with two others. So you'd have to determine how he derived that it was indeed a "CN896". If he downloaded a driver for XP/XPe and the "CN879", the driver likely supports all three. For Win98, that would not be the case.

There may be a chance, it is supported. I don't want to dash any hopes. But I have been unable to confirm that it has the "CN896" chipset/GPU.

Also, the exact model might make a difference. With the Wyse Vx9(LE) series, I noticed some variations. Some came with DVI+ and others with only VGA. They also didn't all have the same Video chip. If you check the ParkyTower pages for the Vx0L and Vx0LE, you can see he lists the video as "VN700?". This is what he says about that:

I haven't removed the heatsinks but, when running Tinycore Linux, an lspci identifies the graphics chip/driver as: CN700/PM4800 Pro/PM4800 CE/VN800 [S3 UniChrome Pro]

The command he used (lspci), for that output, is from Linux. The driver developed for Linux supports all three of those chipsets. That is why it is listing all three. It is more complicated than that. Maybe it supports others, but groups those three together as a set. This is a similar situation to the Laptop.

If you can confirm that it is the "CN896", then the chances are better.

If you can't confirm the chipset, you can email the author of ParkyTowers. He does reply to email.

But if I had to bet on it, I would bet against Win9x support.

Vbemp would provide support, without 3D acceleration. I've used it with multiple laptops, VGA output, and I believe DVI. For sure, the VGA from DVI+.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your desired budget? A Pentium M @ 1-1.6Ghz would probably be cheap. Video with "Official" Win98 support might take some hunting.

Snap, I forgot you wanted fanless. I guess the below wouldn't work.

I think the Dell Inspiron 6000 has a Radeon X300. I believe drivers for Win98 exist for that. I see them on Ebay, without hard drives, for about $30. You could the get an SDcard to 2.5 IDE adapter. Might be a pain to get the adapter seated, in the laptop. There are adapters for CFcards, too. There are even mSata to 2.5 IDE kits. They are the size of a full drive and easier to seat (more expensive).

Edited by awkduck

@sonyu I found a couple of fanless laptops, near Win98 era. They are a bit bulky and most have no Win9x 3D support. The ToughBook and Getac laptops are mostly fanless. They have some Centrino Pentium-M and Core 2 Duo machines. The Core 2 Duo machines would probably need USB audio. The Pentium-M machines have AC97, and audio should work find with Win9x.

If you hunted, you might find a Panasonic ToughBook CF-28. It supposedly has an "Intel 830MG (Win9x 3D compatible)". They range between 1Ghz and 800Mhz. But it is a Pentium III. However, I bet it would run circles around the Wyse laptop. But the real problem would be the resolution. A 1024x768 maximum, with some models only supporting a 800x600 maximum. I guess it depends if it is a touchscreen or not.

They are probably not going to reach the display sizes you've mentioned. And they all have strange harddrive caddies. If you don't have a caddie, you can't install a harddrive. This is unlike many other laptop brands, where the caddie is more like a guide. These caddies have the drive connector in them. The caddie then connects to some a non standard connector, inside the laptop.

Thanks for your research @awkduck !!

Yes, I know the standard of that era was 1024x768 (sometimes it can be forced to a higher resolution in w95 / w98 but I don't remember if it depends on the monitor connected or the gpu...)

Anyway, I found the a lightweight tablet, I need to check if it have a fan

0zTGJevY_yevH7c66uousApIwV_HpTCiEpF9P3wS 

Ports:

HP_TC1100_(1).jpg

It's a Pentium M

I need to check also the 3D support

What do you think?

And... does it have WDDM drivers (just in case I want to dual boot windows 7,8,10 one day)? I have seen it have NVIDIA Geforce 4 Go 420 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Compaq_tc1100

Not all versions come with nvidia gpu, I think this one has only  "Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME "

Edited by sonyu

4 hours ago, sonyu said:

Thanks for your research @awkduck !!

Yes, I know the standard of that era was 1024x768 (sometimes it can be forced to a higher resolution in w95 / w98 but I don't remember if it depends on the monitor connected or the gpu...)

Anyway, I found the a lightweight tablet, I need to check if it have a fan

It's a Pentium M

I need to check also the 3D support

What do you think?

And... does it have WDDM drivers (just in case I want to dual boot windows 7,8,10 one day)? I have seen it have NVIDIA Geforce 4 Go 420 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Compaq_tc1100

Not all versions come with nvidia gpu, I think this one has only  "Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME "

Plenty of machines well exceed 1024x768. Though, it was certainly the average user resolution.

It doesn't look bad. If it has 3D support, it would be great!

I could nitpick at a gold brick. So any "negative" critique should be taken with a grain of salt.

It uses a real IDE interface. So you don't have to worry about a specialized SSD board, or anything of the sort. That is something to watch for on Tablets.

It might be interesting to watch some of the "teardown" videos (Youtube). They may give more info about the machine, compared to the average review video. Is the keyboard is a PS2 connection? If so, that would be a plus. It isn't terribly important, but might make things easier. For example, if you "Exit to Dos" from Windows. If the keyboard is USB, then bios supports PS2 emulation; until windows loads a USB driver for it. It can be tricky setting a system like that up. It wasn't mentioned on Reddit, so it probably was not a problem.

It might be good, to see how hard it is to reach and remove the heatsink. Often these machines perform better, with new thermal grease. If you do get into that, make sure you know how much thermal grease to use. Depending on how the heatsink seats, too much grease can cause overheating. Also, if it is conductive grease, you don't want to risk it shorting something, from extruded overflow.

It might be harder to find a teardown, with the removal of the heatsink. It would be interesting to see how the GPU is cooled. Often it is cooled by the same heatsink as the CPU. When combined like that, sometimes the CPU uses thermal grease, but the GPU has a thermal pad. There is probably nothing wrong with that. But as a "nitpicker" I prefer both use thermal grease. You can find thermal padding, at the usual online stores. You'd probably what to pay attention to thickness. And in this case, a little too thick would be better than too thin. However, in all honesty, you could probably run with old dried thermal grease, and never care. Especially, with a tablet like this. The CPU is probably throttled back or specifically designed for less heat. So the performance improvement, from thermal grease replacement, is probably less noticeable.

I like to have 3D support. But I'd use that tablet, even without it. I lost my gaming interests way back at "Halo - Combat Evolved".

On the rare occasion, I look to play a game, Dos or older Windows games (software rendering) often due the trick. Probably more often it would be a console emulator. There are plenty of older versions, that don't require 3D acceleration (no N64,PS1,etc). It seems games you can easily start and then walk away from, get more attention from me. But every once in awhile I like to revisit something like ONI.

If 3D acceleration is a sticking point, make sure it has it. Otherwise you'll eventually end up lurking about for something else.

If the machine does support 3D acceleration, the 32Mb video ram should be okay. The driver link on Reddit is dead. It links to Helpjet, which went offline a while ago. But, I'm pretty sure Win9x drivers, for Nvidia, are well archived.

If it didn't have 3D, and you could live without it, then I don't see you having an issue, with the overall aspects of this tablet. There is even a chance that SBEMU would give you pure Dos support, for the SoundBlaster. You might make sure that it has AC97 for audio. It would almost have to. Its probably a safe bet.

I also choose fanless machines. I really dislike hunting for a replacement fan (keeping old machines alive). But it also comes in handy, when recording audio. What drives your hunt for a fanless machine?

4 hours ago, awkduck said:

Plenty of machines well exceed 1024x768. Though, it was certainly the average user resolution.

It doesn't look bad. If it has 3D support, it would be great!

I could nitpick at a gold brick. So any "negative" critique should be taken with a grain of salt.

It uses a real IDE interface. So you don't have to worry about a specialized SSD board, or anything of the sort. That is something to watch for on Tablets.

It might be interesting to watch some of the "teardown" videos (Youtube). They may give more info about the machine, compared to the average review video. Is the keyboard is a PS2 connection? If so, that would be a plus. It isn't terribly important, but might make things easier. For example, if you "Exit to Dos" from Windows. If the keyboard is USB, then bios supports PS2 emulation; until windows loads a USB driver for it. It can be tricky setting a system like that up. It wasn't mentioned on Reddit, so it probably was not a problem.

It might be good, to see how hard it is to reach and remove the heatsink. Often these machines perform better, with new thermal grease. If you do get into that, make sure you know how much thermal grease to use. Depending on how the heatsink seats, too much grease can cause overheating. Also, if it is conductive grease, you don't want to risk it shorting something, from extruded overflow.

It might be harder to find a teardown, with the removal of the heatsink. It would be interesting to see how the GPU is cooled. Often it is cooled by the same heatsink as the CPU. When combined like that, sometimes the CPU uses thermal grease, but the GPU has a thermal pad. There is probably nothing wrong with that. But as a "nitpicker" I prefer both use thermal grease. You can find thermal padding, at the usual online stores. You'd probably what to pay attention to thickness. And in this case, a little too thick would be better than too thin. However, in all honesty, you could probably run with old dried thermal grease, and never care. Especially, with a tablet like this. The CPU is probably throttled back or specifically designed for less heat. So the performance improvement, from thermal grease replacement, is probably less noticeable.

I like to have 3D support. But I'd use that tablet, even without it. I lost my gaming interests way back at "Halo - Combat Evolved".

On the rare occasion, I look to play a game, Dos or older Windows games (software rendering) often due the trick. Probably more often it would be a console emulator. There are plenty of older versions, that don't require 3D acceleration (no N64,PS1,etc). It seems games you can easily start and then walk away from, get more attention from me. But every once in awhile I like to revisit something like ONI.

If 3D acceleration is a sticking point, make sure it has it. Otherwise you'll eventually end up lurking about for something else.

If the machine does support 3D acceleration, the 32Mb video ram should be okay. The driver link on Reddit is dead. It links to Helpjet, which went offline a while ago. But, I'm pretty sure Win9x drivers, for Nvidia, are well archived.

If it didn't have 3D, and you could live without it, then I don't see you having an issue, with the overall aspects of this tablet. There is even a chance that SBEMU would give you pure Dos support, for the SoundBlaster. You might make sure that it has AC97 for audio. It would almost have to. Its probably a safe bet.

I also choose fanless machines. I really dislike hunting for a replacement fan (keeping old machines alive). But it also comes in handy, when recording audio. What drives your hunt for a fanless machine?

Well, I look for:

- portable (laptop > tablet for what I'm looking for, but doesn't matter if it's a tablet or a convertible like this one)

- fanless

- 512 to 2gb ram 

- > 1024x768

why fanless? Cause once you try you don't want anything else with current SSD prices and NVME NGFF speeds I prefer to loss some cpu power and have less noise. Well the real reason was because the fan of an old laptop that I have some ago, made lot of noise, I know there are tons of fan sizes and forms but I prefer without it since I discovered these type of devices running fanless cpus back in 2014. In terms of maintenance, of course over time the fan can make more noise.. so this is an extra point; you don't need to worry about it. just the right quantity of thermal grease and all will be FUN without FAN :D:lol::cool:

I know I can buy  a weeCee or a thin client to have w98 and put a gpu on it, but I prefer to have a laptop so I can have my beloved w98 everywhere 

So the candidates are:

VAIO X505 only sold in Japan if I'm not wrong, and this is compatible with Windows 98 

vaio_1.jpg

Also the PCG-505 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Vaio_505_series

The first one looks amazing, will I need to say how much a "fruit" company was inspired by these to release it's "laptop air" ? If you take a look back in history, you'll see how amazing are all SONY designs. I love all of them. UMPCs, Picturebook C1, Vaio p11Z... hardware it's maybe a bit limited for some games, but it's amazing to have one of these small laptops with windows 98. Back in year 2000 I think these were more expensive than 2010s small laptops aka netbooks...

ENJOY the most beautiful laptop ever made:

https://m.eprice.com.tw/tech/talk/1184/2830/1

Really difficult to find , and still very expensive when you find it online these days: 

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/sony-vaio-x505-subnotebook-so-nur-in-japan-zu-bekommen-ovp-/1042232314-278-3030

Edited by sonyu

2 hours ago, sonyu said:

Well, I look for:

- portable (laptop > tablet for what I'm looking for, but doesn't matter if it's a tablet or a convertible like this one)

- fanless

- 512 to 2gb ram 

- > 1024x768

why fanless? Cause once you try you don't want anything else with current SSD prices and NVME NGFF speeds I prefer to loss some cpu power and have less noise. Well the real reason was because the fan of an old laptop that I have some ago, made lot of noise, I know there are tons of fan sizes and forms but I prefer without it since I discovered these type of devices running fanless cpus back in 2014. In terms of maintenance, of course over time the fan can make more noise.. so this is an extra point; you don't need to worry about it. just the right quantity of thermal grease and all will be FUN without FAN :D:lol::cool:

I know I can buy  a weeCee or a thin client to have w98 and put a gpu on it, but I prefer to have a laptop so I can have my beloved w98 everywhere 

So the candidates are:

VAIO X505 only sold in Japan if I'm not wrong, and this is compatible with Windows 98 

Also the PCG-505 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Vaio_505_series

The first one looks amazing, will I need to say how much a "fruit" company was inspired by these to release it's "laptop air" ? If you take a look back in history, you'll see how amazing are all SONY designs. I love all of them. UMPCs, Picturebook C1, Vaio p11Z... hardware it's maybe a bit limited for some games, but it's amazing to have one of these small laptops with windows 98. Back in year 2000 I think these were more expensive than 2010s small laptops aka netbooks...

ENJOY the most beautiful laptop ever made:

Really difficult to find , and still very expensive when you find it online these days: 

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/sony-vaio-x505-subnotebook-so-nur-in-japan-zu-bekommen-ovp-/1042232314-278-3030

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-Z505RX.

Since it is older, it does have a fan. Although, it is not very loud. What I didn't know, when I bought it, was that it has a custom Ethernet connector. It required a special adapter for the actual RJ45 connection. It was an Ebay purchase, and didn't come with the adapter. It also required a special dongle for parallel, serial, and VGA. I eventually did hunt them both down. My particular model came with Neomagic audio and video. The audio is AC97 and the video lacks 3D acceleration (per specification). It also could not be upgraded beyond 128Mb of ram. Despite all of this, I still really like the machine.

The X505's Intel Extreme Graphics 2 should perform aptly. The one in the Ebay link "does" provide all the connectors. This laptop is certainly fanless.

As for the PCG 505, some of the V and R types seem up your alley. Wikipedia does not seem to specify the videos chips, for all of them. But some come with nice 3D acceleration. There are some nicely priced V and R types, on ebay, if you don't mind buying a harddrive separate. However, they all seem to have fans. I did "not" check every model. One may indeed be fanless. The question would then be, if fanless, what GPU does it have. When looking at the VAIOs, make sure to see a bottom picture. Some have fan vents, only on the bottom.

Edit: Something I've been meaning to try, is using a higher speed laptop and forcing the CPU throttle down. Then installing a slightly thicker heatsink (copper or graphite?), to replace the old one and it's fan. Intel Speed Step can be controlled in Dos, Windows, and Linux. Maybe one wouldn't even need to replace the heatsink. With 3D acceleration, it would probably be better if the video chip was a less performant one. I've been meaning to try this out, the target being a Thinkpad t42 with Radeon 7500 (Omega driver); but it died before I got the chance.

Note: Some laptops will not boot, with the fan disconnected. Some finessing may be required.

I suppose that is something you could consider, in your hunt. You might be able to aim for slightly beyond a Win98 video chip, if it is well supported by the one of the Win9x community driver packs (Nvidia/Radeon). Then the worst you might need to contend with, is a small USB audio adapter.

Edited by awkduck

On 3/8/2023 at 3:50 AM, awkduck said:

The ParkyTowers site lists "integrated in CN896" in the Video section.

If you scroll down a bit, on the ParkyTower page, you'll find the results of "lspci". You'll have to click it to expand. While CN896 is listed in there, it is combined with two others. So you'd have to determine how he derived that it was indeed a "CN896". If he downloaded a driver for XP/XPe and the "CN879", the driver likely supports all three. For Win98, that would not be the case.

There may be a chance, it is supported. I don't want to dash any hopes. But I have been unable to confirm that it has the "CN896" chipset/GPU.

Also, the exact model might make a difference. With the Wyse Vx9(LE) series, I noticed some variations. Some came with DVI+ and others with only VGA. They also didn't all have the same Video chip. If you check the ParkyTower pages for the Vx0L and Vx0LE, you can see he lists the video as "VN700?". This is what he says about that:

The command he used (lspci), for that output, is from Linux. The driver developed for Linux supports all three of those chipsets. That is why it is listing all three. It is more complicated than that. Maybe it supports others, but groups those three together as a set. This is a similar situation to the Laptop.

If you can confirm that it is the "CN896", then the chances are better.

If you can't confirm the chipset, you can email the author of ParkyTowers. He does reply to email.

But if I had to bet on it, I would bet against Win9x support.

Vbemp would provide support, without 3D acceleration. I've used it with multiple laptops, VGA output, and I believe DVI. For sure, the VGA from DVI+.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your desired budget? A Pentium M @ 1-1.6Ghz would probably be cheap. Video with "Official" Win98 support might take some hunting.

Snap, I forgot you wanted fanless. I guess the below wouldn't work.

I think the Dell Inspiron 6000 has a Radeon X300. I believe drivers for Win98 exist for that. I see them on Ebay, without hard drives, for about $30. You could the get an SDcard to 2.5 IDE adapter. Might be a pain to get the adapter seated, in the laptop. There are adapters for CFcards, too. There are even mSata to 2.5 IDE kits. They are the size of a full drive and easier to seat (more expensive).

Can we know more info about the VIA chipset looking at these photos of the mobo:

s-l1600.jpg

wyse_NB_4.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Linux lpsci result for almost the same hardware can be found here (HP Mini-Note PC 2133) :

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/HP/HP2133

And the owner tried Windows Millenium on it and posted the results here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=62888

It could be due to excessive Video RAM memory used (maybe) cause he has 2GB of ram or it could be Windows ME missing some updates, I don't know...

Strange cause he have problems even with VBEMP

But maybe he has problems with a driver version, cause I read some drivers are more stable than other:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=1081436#p1081436

Similar problem, different topic:

I remember also having problems with nVidia cards, W98SE and VIA chipsets. It helped to NOT install an agp driver from 4in1 and Hyperions (I tried different versions) and install the nVidia driver itself. With the VIA agp driver either falling after the installation of nVidia Windows drivers, there was a black screen with or without a cursor, or a report of an incorrectly configured adapter popping up.

Edited by sonyu

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

Can we know more info about the VIA chipset looking at these photos of the mobo:

Linux lpsci result for almost the same hardware can be found here (HP Mini-Note PC 2133) :

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/HP/HP2133

And the owner tried Windows Millenium on it and posted the results here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=62888

It could be due to excessive Video RAM memory used (maybe) cause he has 2GB of ram or it could be Windows ME missing some updates, I don't know...

Strange cause he have problems even with VBEMP

The chip you are seeing, is likely the VT8237 (or variant). The one you want to see, is probably under that nice big heatsink.

The guy on Vogons suggests this:

P.S. I read that some non-VIA motherboards, based on VIA's chipsets have broken Windows 9x compatibility as opposed to VIA's own motherboards based on same chipsets. Perhaps this is the case. I hope someone can find a solution to this problem.

I don't know where he/she heard that. If true, the laptop you are looking at is a VIA motherboard. But it kinda looks like the HP is too.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that we don't know what driver he/she tried to install. There is no link. If you install a Win2k driver, it will often let you (using the .inf file). But no files are listed under "Device Manager", and you end up with with the default Windows driver (640x480 16bit). The registry tells "Device Manager" the correct new driver name, and itself says the device is working. But it is the old driver that is working. The comment about the mouse being invisible and then visible, during driver exchanges, makes it seem like the driver could have been correct.

And he/she may have a system conflict. Perhaps one that can't be resolved, on that system. Sometimes that fix is only provided for the modern supported OS. The conflict may also come from something installed. I've had issues with NUSB and Scitech Display Doctor. Although, I've never had a problem with Vbemp. So that is interesting. Unfortunately, this is a risk one takes sailing into less charted waters.

There is a screenshot showing a resource conflict. Sometimes you can manually adjust theses things, and everything will work out fine. It doesn't look like anyone suggested he/she try that. I noticed the resource conflict was related to ACPI BIOS. So there is the potential for this being broken Win9x support. But it is hard to tell.

I've personally had problems with VIA video drivers not working, on supported versions of Windows. The problem arises when the lowest supported version of Windows is near being dropped; and that being the version I am using.

I'd say this is a riskier laptop.

Thanks @awkduck

so it isn't something about Himem.sys or system.ini patch, right?

yes it looks more like a bios problem...

I'll need to take a look at this one https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/neoware/M100/

since it's CN700 and it's working here for desktop https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=64878

Anyway will be hard to find this one and also to check if it's fanless...

Or I'll need to check for laptops with less power like Libretto 100CT... but I prefer to have something faster with 3D...

Edited by sonyu

31 minutes ago, sonyu said:

so it isn't something about Himem.sys or system.ini patch, right?

I'd say no. But we don't even know, for certain, that the conflict is the one causing the video issue. And we don't know if the laptop you are looking at has the same issue, or not.

33 minutes ago, sonyu said:

Anyway will be hard to find this one and also to check if it's fanless...

The pics on Parkytowers show a fan.

34 minutes ago, sonyu said:

Thanks

Well, I hope I'm not making it harder. But, you are very welcome.

I haven't much info on this machine, but maybe the Xplore iX104C2 or iX104C3. It seems to come with the Intel 855GME. The audio is AC97. Up to 1Gb memory. 1Ghz or more.

I also have no experience with the Intel 855GME. But it appears to support Win9x. Maybe not Win95?

Edit: Nope. Watched a harddriver replacement video, and it has a fan.

But it is a fairly small fan, and in an ideal location. Temps me to try the C4 at 1.4Ghz, with CPU throttling and a custom (larger) heatsink (Digikey). However, it would probably need USB for a keyboard. So no unicorn here.

Edited by awkduck