Windows Photo Gallery update for Vista

trancer03

On 2/26/2023 at 5:12 AM, winvispixp said:

I have every update that GHM put in his repository

How did you install all of those updates?

It seems like pkmgr only installs .cab files because the temporary folder gets filled, but you can't see anything new when you looking at your installed updates in Program and Features after you run the cycle for .cab files. When it comes to .msu, pkmgr just flies through them.

Dism++ only installs 13-14 updates at a time then stalls!

On 3/8/2023 at 8:18 PM, legacyfan said:

from what ive seen your having issues with install photo gallery thru dism++ right?

I'm having problems installing the updates from GHM repository! See above.

Edited by trancer03

52 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

I'm having problems installing the updates from GHM repository! See above.

is there a specific update that's causing the problem or is it every update?

Edited by legacyfan

it could be a windows corruption issue (like a falling hardrive) or something else entirely a when did this issue start happening? was it recently or has it been a issue for a while now? (just trying to get as much information as needed to help)

On 2/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, trancer03 said:

When I start slideshow, the picture is pixelated and there is a control bar on the bottom. I don't remember it to be that way when I had my updates automatically installed from Microsoft servers before Aug. 2020. All that makes me think I have a really old version of WPG. I also don't know how to check the version, and when I try to check for updates, it tells me that I have the latest version.

WPG screenshot.jpg

I think this might be to do with your WinSAT/WEI score. What does your System Properties show?

Graphics scores of less than 3 causes Photo Gallery to disable slideshow transition themes, and you just get a basic fullscreen slideshow without the control bar. It will show at full screen resolution, but smaller images are upscaled to fit the screen.

Graphics scores between 3 and 5 gives you the control bar with transition themes, but it won't play at full resolution, hence the pixellation and blurring on the control bar.

Graphics scores above 5 should allow you to play the slideshow at full resolution, with the control bar and transition themes. Choosing the 'Classic' theme should stop smaller images from being upscaled to fill the screen.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070223111728/http://blogs.msdn.com:80/pix/archive/2006/08/10/694724.aspx

This post from 2006 from the developers and comments underneath suggest that you can override your graphics scores via the registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\SlideShow
Type = DWORD Value
Name = WinSATScore
Value = 100 (for basic slideshow at full resolution, without control bar), 300 (for transition themes and control bar at reduced resolution), or 500 (for transition themes and control bar at full resolution)

In VirtualBox, setting the registry value to 500 doesn't seem to increase resolution for me (probably because the emulated graphics isn't good enough), but I have previously managed to do this on a physical machine, and if I recall I think this was what I had to do. However I can't check at the moment due to a failing Vista hard disk and I haven't had time yet to reinstall on a new disk.

14 hours ago, Bizzbob said:

I think this might be to do with your WinSAT/WEI score. What does your System Properties show?

I just refreshed my Windows Experience Index, and my graphics is the lowest, which is 5.3, but when I view the images larger than the screen resolution in the slide show, they are pixelated! It resizes them just fine without the loss of quality in the window, but not in fullscreen!

On 3/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, legacyfan said:

it could be a windows corruption issue (like a falling hardrive) or something else entirely a when did this issue start happening? was it recently or has it been a issue for a while now? (just trying to get as much information as needed to help)

The issue started happening after I re-installed Windows. I got updates for my previous installation from Microsoft before Aug. 2020.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:08 AM, legacyfan said:

is there a specific update that's causing the problem or is it every update?

There is none: not matter what order I install them, it installs 13-14 updates then stalls!

8 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

There is none: not matter what order I install them, it installs 13-14 updates then stalls!

have you tried installing the update readiness tool? https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=09eff130-0486-4c99-8385-9ffb3b1b14fc (Description: This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software. This tool checks your computer for such inconsistencies and tries to resolve issues if found) it looks like this could fix your update problems

Edited by legacyfan

2 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

have you tried installing the update readiness tool?

I guess, I can't install it from the link provided by you, can I, or do I have to search for it in the Update Catalog?