Windows Photo Gallery update for Vista

trancer03

4 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

There are bunch of executable files there for download and one .msu. I just downloaded the .msu, is it good enough?

it's the latest version of the update that works on vista (any version of the update after 2014 is designed for windows 7 only)

Edited by legacyfan

3 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

it's the latest version of the update that works on vista (any version of the update after that is for windows 7 only)

All the files that are available for download when you click "Download" button for System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista for x64-based systems (KB947821) [October 2014] say "Windows6.0". I don't understand your reply!

4 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

All the files that are available for download when you click "Download" button for System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista for x64-based systems (KB947821) [October 2014] say "Windows6.0". I don't understand your reply!

in the description for the update on the page it says [October 2014] that's what version of the update it is like this (System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [October 2014])

Edited by legacyfan

Just now, legacyfan said:

in the description for the update on the page it says [October 2014] that's what version of the update it is

You don't understand my question! Why won't you click "Download" button and you'll see what I'm talking about?

7 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

yes the msu version will work fine

I just installed the .msu. It didn't require restart, but didn't make any difference: Dism++ still stalls!

Edited by trancer03

27 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

I just installed the .msu. It didn't require restart, but didn't make any difference: Dism++ still stalls!

this look very similar to your issue right now https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/417085-dism-cant-install-updates-after-repair-install-2.html (a windows 7 user was having the same issue as you on the 7 forums recently) and it looks like they found a fix for it

Edited by legacyfan

7 hours ago, trancer03 said:

I just refreshed my Windows Experience Index, and my graphics is the lowest, which is 5.3, but when I view the images larger than the screen resolution in the slide show, they are pixelated! It resizes them just fine without the loss of quality in the window, but not in fullscreen!

I see what you mean about the pixelation... Windows Photo Gallery seems to resize images differently depending on your WinSAT score. At least in VirtualBox, setting it to correspond to a score of 3 or above appears to introduce some sort of scaling artefact that causes parts of the image to look blocky and pixelated when viewing large images. It's much more apparent in some images than others, and I probably just hadn't noticed in all this time.

I think as @winvispixp said, it's probably a limitation of Windows Photo Gallery. I assume you are running Vista on a physical machine? I don't know if emulated graphics such as that in VirtualBox always plays nicely with this sort of thing, so I don't know if what I am seeing is applicable to other people.

I suppose if you want to keep using Windows Photo Gallery and don't care too much for the slideshow transitions, you might be able to try setting the registry value I mentioned to 100 and see if that sorts the pixelation problem? It would also hide the control bar, which might be how you were using it in the past.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:25 AM, Bizzbob said:

try setting the registry value I mentioned to 100 and see if that sorts the pixelation problem?

You are right, it solved the problem!