boot up, i can't get thingy to boot

Hi i'm making unattended xp setup for two computers, and i'm installing different programs on different comps

i plan to load command.com and when it runs autoexec.bat it'll let me choose which computer's configuration to use when isntalling xp. Here' my autoexec.bat file

if EXIST a:\winnt.sif goto :FDD
:SETUPclsecho.echo      Please Select The Folloing Optionsecho.     echo.echo      1. Install Windows XP For Athlonecho      2. Install Windows XP for AthlonXPecho      3. Install Windows XP Normalecho      4. Use Command Promptecho      5. Boot From HDDecho.getkeyd -k 12345 -n -l -p "Enter Your Choice: " -t 5,20
if errorlevel 255 goto :HDDif errorlevel 5 goto :HDDif errorlevel 4 goto :CMDif errorlevel 3 goto :XPif errorlevel 2 goto :AthlonXPif errorlevel 1 goto :Athlon
:Hddc:\windows\goto :END
:CMDgoto :END
:XPi386\winnt.exegoto :END
:AthlonXPXP-CD\i386\winnt.exe /u:XP-CD\i386\winntathlon.sif /s:XP-CD\i386\goto :END
:AthlonXP-CD\i386\winnt.exe /u:XP-CD\i386\winntathlonxp.sif /s:XP-CD\i386\goto :END
:FDDgetkeyd -l -p "Boot WINXP Settings from floopy? " -t n,20 if errorlevel 2 goto :SETUPXP-CD\i386\winnt.exe /u:a:\winnt.sifgoto :END
:End

getkeyd is an external program.

Here's my winntathlon.sif file, i've only left the important bits on

[GuiRunOnce]%systemdrive%\install\athlon.cmd

Here's my winntathlonxp.sif file

[GuiRunOnce]%systemdrive%\install\athlonxp.cmd

here's my athlon.cmd file

rename %systemdrive%\Install\AthlonEx.cmd RunOnceEx.cmd

and my athlonxp.cmd file

rename %systemdrive%\Install\AthlonXPEX.cmd RunOnceEx.cmd

yeh and all my programs to install and stuff are in the RunOnceEx files

for those who cbf reading all that, basically autoexec.bat gives the user choices on wat xp install to use, then based on that runs winnt.exe using the answer file and that answer file runs the batch file for that setup which renames the batch file RunOnceEx so it gets called by cmdlines.txt.

this is my file structure

command.com

autoexec.bat

io.sys

msdos.sys

config.sys

getkeyd.exe

[XP-CD]

@@@@$OEM$

etc

my problem is that when i burn the cd command.com doesn't load, i've read alot of tutorials on making boot cd's but it never works, i've wasted alot of cd tyrign to get it working. Can someone help me?

i believe he's using like a Win98 disk(sorta of) to boot from and then start the install.....

as for wasting CDs, use VirtualPC or VMWare workstation. Then it only takes the time it takes to recreate the ISO.

i wonder why command.com doesn't load, UNLESS you either don't have your disk set in the path, or your not using a full path. Some forms of DOS are quite picky and just to be safe, it's always good to include drive letters

How exactly are you trying to boot from your CD? Please list the programs and steps you are using to make it bootable.

AFAIK, you can't just stick those DOS files in the root of the CD and expect it to boot like a floppy. You have to use a program like CDShell to get a CD to load a floppy image and then use that as your DOS environment.

If people would read the documentation on CDShell, you will find out you need at least 4 files to get a bootable CD that loads like a floppy. Download CDShell and take out CDSH.BIN and LOADER.BIN. Put them in a folder called Boot on the root of your CD. Next, edit CDSHELL.INI and stick that in the Boot folder too. Also, using a program like WinImage, create a floppy image with all your DOS stuff and put it in the Boot folder.. So your CD would look like this:

CD ROOT

|

+-- BOOT

| |

| | CDSH.BIN, LOADER.BIN, CDSHELL.INI, and your floppy image

|

+-- I386

| |

| | All the XP Files

|

+-- $OEM$

|

| All Unattended files

Now.. When you boot, Loader.bin will call CDSH.bin and execute your script (CDShell.ini), which will call your floppy image. The code below, is a minimum CDShell.ini, which will be sufficient just to call a floppy image named DOS.ima..

boot:clsprint "\n"print "Press Enter to boot this freakin' CD... \n"getkey 3 boot 0x80if $lastKey == key[enter]; then goto main
# When no key found...goto boot
# Main Menumain:
memdisk DOS.ima

Lastly, burn the CD/image using something like Nero. Use these specs:

Boot image file: Make sure this points to loader.bin.

Emulation type: Set this to "no emulation" or "custom".

Load segment: 0x07C0 (or just 07C0)

Number of sectors to load: 4

That should do it. ALL of this information, plus a LOT more is on CDShell.org. I had to read it so be happy you got an explanation. :)

If people would read the documentation on CDShell

Now if only you would read, and maybe do some research.

IF you stick the bot sector of a FLOPPY as the boot of a CD, the CD thinks its a floppy and looks for the normal files. OR you COULD just use the image of a Floppy AS YOUR BOOT SECTOR as Killer-bee suggested. THere is NO NEED to add another program that justs boots the floppy image anyway. And besides if he DID do that, then he'd ahve to use ANOTHER program to find the CD drive letter.

Well, you could do that if you wanted just 1 floppy emulation on a CD. But the point I was trying to make was about CDShell.. An awesome program that could load the floppy image of ur choice, to do things like a preinstall of XP, load HD tools, partition magic, PE, etc..

Can go the limited route, or explain one thing that will lead to a lot more.. :)

Sometimes it not the fact that people don't read, the hard part is understanding a lot of information in little posts that are spread out through the internet.

I don't get why you would want such a CD anyway?

why do you need different installation and go to all this trouble for each type of computer?

why not make one disk that work first time everytime on every type of computer, with no annoying DOS loading bull-dung!

Check out the WPI Pre-Install Wizard if you want to have a choice of what programs are installed by RunOnce on first boot, I use it and trust me it sounds a lot easier than this autoexec.bat menu style setup.... and as far as the drivers go, you can have every driver on your CD and have them all specified in the one winnt.sif WinXP will only install the correct drivers for each system using plug'n'play methods!

also, why use an external program getkeyd when choice.com comes with win98 anyway (you are using a win98 boot disk yeah?) :) the way you are using getkeyd it looks like a clone of choice.com anyway!

Crusher,Apr 26 2004, 06:20 PM] I don't get why you would want such a CD anyway?

why do you need different installation and go to all this trouble for each type of computer?

why not make one disk that work first time everytime on every type of computer, with no annoying DOS loading bull-dung!

Check out the WPI Pre-Install Wizard if you want to have a choice of what programs are installed by RunOnce on first boot, I use it and trust me it sounds a lot easier than this autoexec.bat menu style setup.... and as far as the drivers go, you can have every driver on your CD and have them all specified in the one winnt.sif WinXP will only install the correct drivers for each system using plug'n'play methods!

also, why use an external program getkeyd when choice.com comes with win98 anyway (you are using a win98 boot disk yeah?) :) the way you are using getkeyd it looks like a clone of choice.com anyway!

becos i have program i want to run on one computer but not the other

Flash, I don't have time to read this whole thread so i'll just say this...

try loading smartdrv.exe at the end of your batchfile before unnattend.bat gets run :)

that solved my problem (well at least one of them) :rolleyes: with doing an lan unnattended via floppy boot :D

I hope that helps/helped :D

ah i've stumpled onto the problem that somone mentioned in this thread, i need a script to detect the cd rom and since its a usb one i doubt it'll work

if anyone has dos usb drive drivers and can send to me it would be good, hey why dont' i just search for them on google :)

i think i might have to go the other method usign the chain dat file thingy

thanks for help guys

and yourtech if i find usb drivers for cd i will add smartdrv to the batch

you'll have to or it'll act like its not doing anything and take forever (almost) :) heh

as for usb drivers...maybe a way around this would be to do a lan/network (unattended) install if you have another computer in the house. :rolleyes:

I did :D

btw there are a cpl of threads i started on it,

one of which i may turn into a guide eventually :D

both of which i'll post in a bit (not so easy to find for some reason in this forum) heh

Unattended XP by LAN: (not finished yet but a start)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18255&hl=

Unattended XP Lan Boot Disks:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST...t=0#entry126267

Edited by yourtech