TRIM on NVMe disk under WinXP

reboot12

On 12/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, reboot12 said:

@George King

• I have fixed the secnvme.inf x64 file and works without any problems including TRIM in O&O Defrag
    secnvme_fix_by_Gelip.zip
    9484653300_1670753042_thumb.jpg
  • Silicon Motion Generic_NVMe_10.4.49.0 works only because I updated the driver when the Samsung driver operated - it is exactly about the secnvmeF service running. After switching off the service:
    sc config secnvmeF start= disabled
    I turned on the Windows debug through the serial port in BCD and after restart OS I have a 7B error in WinDbg:
    WinDbg 7B error log
  • SmartDefrag 4.2 and TxBENCH 0.98 not make TRIM on any driver
  • O&O Defrag make TRIM on Generic_NVMe_6.1.7601.23403, fixed_Samsung_NVMe_3.3.0.2003 and Silicon Motion Generic_NVMe_10.4.49.0 with secnvmeF service running (from Samsung driver)

I just installed the Silicon Motion Generic_NVMe_10.4.49.0 driver in XP x64 and have not encountered any problems. TRIM with O&O works as well:
1-SM-NVMe.png  

Same for the Samsung 3.3.0 driver here "orphaned" by secnvmeF.sys:
2-Samsung-NVMe.png

In both cases, no services refer to secnvmeF.sys.

It could also be that the BSOD 7B may have occurred if you have installed the SiliconMotion driver by replacing the Samsung one.

Eventually it is so, to avoid such error, before you uninstall the samsung NVMe driver or install a different one over it, remove in the registry the string "LowerFilters"="secnvmeF" from the key

"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" and then reboot the system.

I wonder if secnvmeF.sys is really necessary.