Are the updates installed, or not ..?

Sailor

I used nlite 1.4.9.3 (which I have used in the past to slipstream some SATA drivers for a laptop) to include OnePiece's update pack

(OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v1.0.9_FINAL_ENU_7A2AC7C5DD72BB4BC0C18D677A8B8FB1.7z)

with my original XPSP3 disk. Nlite happily accepted it and created a bootable iso/disk, telling me that it is larger than the original (i.e. now approx 850MB). That disk boots and installs XP without any problems. However, I cannot see any evidence of the updates actually being present i.e. there is nothing in Add/Remove Programs, and there are no $NtUninstallKBxxxxxxxxx in Windows.

Are they actually installed? Or did I make some sort of stupid mistake when creating the iso?

TIA

Ok, I'll answer this myself; I think that yes, they are installed. I can see entries in the registry for what looks like most, or all (~250 - 300) updates, at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SPnn\KBnnnnnnn\...

and the file version numbers in those entries match the files in e.g. \WINDOWS\system32. So I guess that they just aren't (readily) uninstallable. But that doesn't matter right now.

However, it certainly screws up Nirsof's WinUpdatesView.exe, though. That now returns a completely blank page :unsure:

If anyone has further info, I'd be pleased to hear it.

• 4 weeks later...

If using an update pack then all the updates will be integrated into the source, if using individual hotfixes most will be integrated but some will be run silently at T-13.

Only those run silently will show up in add/remove programs.