Fastest pre-i3 Intel CPU for MS-DOS

aoresteen

What would the fastest pre-i3 CPU be for MS-DOS? 

Since DOS doesn't use multi cores, would a 3.8MHZ P4 socket 775 be faster than a Pentium Duo 3.2 GHz socket 775? Faster that the 3.0 GHz Quad Q9650 Socket 775?

Thoughts?

Just on socket, since no board is being considered... It would be Pentium Extreme 965 3.73 GHz at 1066 MHz

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27615/intel-pentium-processor-extreme-edition-965-4m-cache-3-73-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

vs your example of the Pentium 4 570J, 670 or 672 3.8 GHz at 800 MHz

Now the other thing to consider is how you would even be able to tell in any real world application as to which is faster in DOS.

Thanks!  Deciding what is really faster is hard to do I agree.

Back in the day I ran a lot of simulations written in complied BASIC where I shut down the screen and and let the CPU run for days on a 500MHz K6.  I am going to re-run a number of them and wanted to build the "fastest" P4 machine I reasonably can.  I have a number of 775 motherboards in stock and most of the needed parts.

I looked at the Pentium Extreme 965 3.73 GHz at 1066 MHz but they sell for $500-$1,000+. And it is a dual core.   A P4 3.8GHz can be had for $100 or less.  Right now the box I'm building has a P4 3.6GHz that I  will use while I search for something faster.