32-bit Vista Installation possibly blocked by BIOS, how to unlock ?

D.Draker

Hi all , so I've been trying to install windows Vista 32bit to test the modded video drivers and created a bootable (with rufus) USB .

USB stick works fine and the ISO is good (original), I tested on a laptop. But on this desktop I got :

winload.exe is missing or corrupted

Error code 0xC0000098 

Please note , I can install the 64 bit Vista on it from the same USN stick, but NOT 32 .

The mobo is pretty basic with a classic BIOS (12 y.o. or so)

To recap:

I removed all devices (BluRay reader , card reader, another 3 HDD, etc). Attached only a mouse and a USB KB.

Resetting CMOS didn't help.

Swapping HDD to another new one 160GB (from my storages) didn't help.

Tried multiple USB media, all fail to install with the aforementioned errors

All just like here and seems unsolved . Could it be locked by the BIOS ? I have the latest version.  The PC came with Vista x64.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f8ec6c8b-527b-4b3d-99c3-0e2f70f0956f/windows-7-install-error-winloadexe-0xc0000098-what-next

Yes the BIOS can lock out the ability to boot specific architectures. If this is indeed the issue, the only solution is to get a modified BIOS from the manufacturer. There may be a version already available that allows x86 boot but it wouldn't be the latest. You'll have to look at older BIOS and their changelogs if the manufacturer makes things like that. For example, Intel has release notes for their different versions that can be read to find specific ones to use.

Very interesting ! Thanks! So I was able to install it . How ? I don't know! I reboot like a gazillion of times , moved to another USB slots and it somehow started the installation , but there's a new funny thing . It can't accept any updates ! It's always stuck at "stage 3" then says "reverting back" , then just a black screen with the cursor (after it reboots itself).