Powered USB 3.0 hub causes 0x50 dump_ntoskrn8.sys BSOD?

Damnation

Hi @Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On my new AMD B550 build I've come across a scenario where if I have a Powered USB 3.0 hub connected at boot, it causes a 0x50 dump_ntoskrn8.sys BSOD before reaching the desktop.

Would you be willing to help me debug this?

If so, can I have the realtek version of your KDNET to help with debugging this?

5 hours ago, Damnation said:

Hi @Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On my new AMD B550 build I've come across a scenario where if I have a Powered USB 3.0 hub connected at boot, it causes a 0x50 dump_ntoskrn8.sys BSOD before reaching the desktop.

Would you be willing to help me debug this?

If so, can I have the realtek version of your KDNET to help with debugging this?

Hi @Damnation

dump_ntoskrn8.sys is auto-copy of ntoskrn8.sys linked to storage driver for saving crashdump

storage driver also has copy like dump_iastor.sys, if storage driver is scsi, dump_storport.sys also will be created, this is how windows create independed crashdump driver stack

1) try to fully disable crashdumps in windows control panel

2) if crashdump saved on disk, analyze it in windbg

3) maybe there is some conflict between ntoskrn8.sys and  dump_ntoskrn8.sys, local variables or some similar,   need crashdump or windbg live session !analyze log

4) KDNET is independ of current network driver, rename realtek's kd_02_10ec.dll to kdstub.dll/kdnet10.dll

I've discovered a workaround, I can boot into XP if I connect the hub to one of the 2 USB 2.0 ports next to the 2.5gbe ethernet port.

not the most ideal solution, but it's something.

I'd still prefer to find the cause of this BSOD though.

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD

So I'm assuming I don't need to hex edit kd_02_10ec.dll at all? - just rename to kdnet10.dll?

and I get kdstub.dll off of your github?

I ended up taking the easy way out and got a different USB 3.0 hub that worked with no BSOD

this one worked without BSOD -

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/orico-at2u310ab-aluminium-10port-usb-30-hub-with-individual-switches-ac37890

this one gave the BSOD -

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/626733/ALOGIC-Plus-10-Port-USB-30-Powered-Hub-With-Charging

edit:

I still have the problematic hub in my possession so if you want me to go ahead and debug with it anyway, just say so.

Edited by Damnation