Explorer crashes when i right click

Just_AHD

Hello there, I have a weird issue when I right click on any file that doesn't have an extension to it, My explorer crashes. It only happened after I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus, I've tried two different installations and they all did the same. I've ran into this issue on my old laptop running Windows XP Pro with unofficial SP4 and all updates. So I tried it on a virtual machine and I get the same problem. When I uninstall Microsoft Office 2010 this issue seems to stop, I have no clue why is it related to Office 2010, I don't know if it's only that or something else. Any help would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Damnation said:

@Just_AHD

Try office 2010 without the unofficial XP SP4, might be conflicting.

I'll try that, however I do want to have all the updates installed, Is it possible I can get all XP's updates in 1 go without having to wait them to download & install for hours? perhaps a post sp3 pack i guess, idk how is it called exactly, so I can integrate them into an XP Installation, as I'm using a slipstreamed iso.

Edited by Just_AHD

@Just_AHD

I can't say for sure, I've never used SP4.

As a personal preference I like to use XP Integral Edition, it has all the POSReady July 2019 updates integrated already. Everything I want to use XP for seems to work well for me using that.

2 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

i tried it, wasn't good for me honestly since it removed some xp apps and themes and changed font, i like xp to be stock

Install Windows XP SP3 and MS Office 2010. If there is no issue, look for conflict between SP4 updates.

If you do a clean install with an installation source that has SP4 slipstreamed, this might be one of the easiest fixes. (alternatively you could disable the sp4sec feature in an unattended installation file, but I have not tested this yet.)

Extract sysoc.in_ and comment out the line containing text similar to:

sp4sec=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,xpfixit.inf,hide,7

in sysoc.inf with a semicolon in front of the line. Then, delete sysoc.in_.

Another fix would be to edit xpfixit.inf to omit all lines starting with "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\".

I do not know how to fix a live install of SP4 or the service pack installer to circumvent this issue though.

P.S.: I am quite shocked that it took much of a decade (8 years!) for people to notice that publicly, because when I investigated this a year ago, I was not able to find anything.

Edit 2: FYI, in WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-NODOTNET-x86-ENU.exe/i386/update/update.inf (might vary for the normal version), line 4033 (under the [ProcessesToRun] INF section) the installation of the "SP4 Security enhancement is triggered", as far as live SP4 installation is concerned. Perhaps one could edit xpfixit.inf before starting the live installation of SP4?

Edited by whydoihavetosignupforattachments
adding some more thoughts to the post

10 hours ago, whydoihavetosignupforattachments said:

If you do a clean install with an installation source that has SP4 slipstreamed, this might be one of the easiest fixes. (alternatively you could disable the sp4sec feature in an unattended installation file, but I have not tested this yet.)

Extract sysoc.in_ and comment out the line containing text similar to:

sp4sec=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,xpfixit.inf,hide,7

in sysoc.inf with a semicolon in front of the line. Then, delete sysoc.in_.

Another fix would be to edit xpfixit.inf to omit all lines starting with "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\".

I do not know how to fix a live install of SP4 or the service pack installer to circumvent this issue though.

P.S.: I am quite shocked that it took much of a decade (8 years!) for people to notice that publicly, because when I investigated this a year ago, I was not able to find anything.

Edit 2: FYI, in WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-NODOTNET-x86-ENU.exe/i386/update/update.inf (might vary for the normal version), line 4033 (under the [ProcessesToRun] INF section) the installation of the "SP4 Security enhancement is triggered", as far as live SP4 installation is concerned. Perhaps one could edit xpfixit.inf before starting the live installation of SP4?

Yeah I did a clean install with SP4 slipstreamed (also applied the post sp4 update pack) its the same thing, I guess there is something wrong or maybe a few updates are known to break things which I have seen people not include, and I don't really like using others ISOs as I prefer an original msdn iso that i edit on my own, sadly I don't understand any of this since I'm not really a professional at this xd

Edited by Just_AHD

5 hours ago, Just_AHD said:

Yeah I did a clean install with SP4 slipstreamed (also applied the post sp4 update pack) its the same thing, I guess there is something wrong or maybe a few updates are known to break things which I have seen people not include, and I don't really like using others ISOs as I prefer an original msdn iso that i edit on my own, sadly I don't understand any of this since I'm not really a professional at this xd

Just perform the fix I mentioned yesterday. This should prevent the broken security enhancements from being applied to the system when clean installing XP SP4. Alternatively, tell me whether I should just post fixed setup files here or make a YouTube video detailing all of this.