Windows Firewall

justacruzr2

New Problem.  Everytime I start the computer and go into XP Pro SP3 there is a long delay.  Finally the delay ends when I see the Windows Firewall turned off and then back on (icon in the systray area).  I check Computer Management in Administrative Tools and one of the entries is an error.  The HPQDDSVC hung on starting.  I figured it needed to be added as an exception in Windows Firewall.  This is a service in Computer Management under Services and is run by svchost -k hpdevmgmt.  There is no hpdevmgmt.exe on my computer only the dll: hpqddsvc.dll.  Can a dll be added as an exception in Windows Firewall?  I ask because all the other exceptions are executables.

24 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

Can a dll be added as an exception in Windows Firewall?  I ask because all the other exceptions are executables.

Yes, it can be added if you select "All Files (*.*)" in the Browse window from "Add a Program" window, though I am not sure if they can also be affected like executables or not.

spacer.png

Edited by mina7601
addition

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Yes, it can be added if you select "All Files (*.*)" in the Browse window from "Add a Program" window, though I am not sure if they can also be affected like executables or not.

spacer.png

Thanks.  Wasn't sure about dll's.  I see that after I installed SP3 there's a lot more security checking going on.

3 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

New Problem.  Everytime I start the computer and go into XP Pro SP3 there is a long delay.  Finally the delay ends when I see the Windows Firewall turned off and then back on (icon in the systray area).  I check Computer Management in Administrative Tools and one of the entries is an error.  The HPQDDSVC hung on starting.  I figured it needed to be added as an exception in Windows Firewall.  This is a service in Computer Management under Services and is run by svchost -k hpdevmgmt.  There is no hpdevmgmt.exe on my computer only the dll: hpqddsvc.dll.

hpqddsvc.dll is described as HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service. Therefore it belongs to a HP device installed in Windows XP and is part of the program HP Digital Imaging. If the problem of hanging process and long delay persists, I would recommend a reinstallation of your HP software. Furthermore in the past I had similar problems with long delays of nearly two minutes and a disabled firewall while starting my system. A solution for that was in defragmenting pagefile and system partition. :)

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

hpqddsvc.dll is described as HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service. Therefore it belongs to a HP device installed in Windows XP and is part of the program HP Digital Imaging. If the problem of hanging process and long delay persists, I would recommend a reinstallation of your HP software. Furthermore in the past I had similar problems with long delays of nearly two minutes and a disabled firewall while starting my system. A solution for that was in defragmenting pagefile and system partition. :)

Thanks but I did know that.  And I have solved the problem.  One of HP's services was set on "manual" In MMC services.  I think it was hpqcxs08.  I changed it to "automatic" restarted and everything is hunky-dorey.  It must be the service that starts hpqddsvc and the system must have had to forcibly start it to get hpqddsvc going and that's what the long delay was about.  Don't know why the windows firewall was turned off and on unless that was what was needed to force the start.  Thanks to all for your help.