Windows 2000 on Sandy Bridge?

First things first, here are my computer specs:

Acer Aspire E1-531 from 2013

Sandy Bridge Intel Pentium with B960 2.20GHz CPU (if this is not a part of Sandy Bridge, please let me know) and 64 bit processor

8GB of Ram with Physical Address Extension (Just copying what the My Computer Properties show. Only 2.65 GB is visible in XP, and most likely in 2000 as well)

Dual-boot of Windows 2000 (incomplete) and Windows XP (complete with drivers such as Intel Graphics and Wireless internet. Posting from it now. Also using it as it to copy files to the Windows 2000 partition).

Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Internet Adapter (built-in).

If you need any more specs, please do let me know and I can grab them for you guys.

Now that is out of the way, here's what is going on. I successfully set up a dual-boot of Windows 2000 and Windows XP. For the installation of 2000, I had to mash the F7 key upon setup starting in order to proceed. When it was finished, it blue screened with a USBhub20.sys error. Loading up Linux straight from the USB and deleting that file allowed the OS to boot, but without USB support. I then setup Windows XP, with that drive being the same as the 2000 drive.

My questions are: 1. When I was choosing the partition size for Windows 2000, it only showed 137GB. How do I make 2000 see more? I have googled and seen that there is some sort of registry trick that is needed. What is the stuff that I need to merge into the registry? After I apply the trick, would I just be able to use partition magic (or wizard) to expand the partition size (I want it to be around 250GB and equal with Windows XP, which will also be made bigger so 2000 and it are equal sizes)?

2. How do I get the USB ports working in 2000? Everything I have seen is that I need to manually install a driver or something for it, but am not really sure what they mean by that. Where do I find this installation file? And do I put USBhub20.sys back into the WINNT folder afterwards?

3. How do I get Windows 2000 and XP to see the full 8GB of RAM? I have seen a PAE hack is involved here, but am unsure of how to do that.

4. Since Windows Update is dead for 2000, how do I go about fully updating it for the Extended Kernel and Extended Core 16a (or whatever that Extended Kernel complement is called)? I do have a fully up to date 2000 machine on a different laptop, but that was done with Windows Update right before it went down.

5. And lastly, how do I get drivers such as Intel Sandy Bridge graphics and Qualcomm Athers AR5B125 working under 2000? Everything I have seen involves using Extended Core 16a(?) in conjunction with Extended Kernel, but I tried that on a prior 2000 install on this machine (this was made before I wiped it and dual-booted it with XP), and trying to install the graphics and wireless drivers didn't work. Manual install via Have Disk didn't work or in the case of the graphics exe, would tell me that a file didn't have an entry point called GetSystemWow64, leading me to believe I didn't fully update the machine properly.

So sorry for these questions, but I really want to try and run Windows 2000 from this laptop and I will take any solutions you guys have, especially @blackwingcat's. I know XP works. I have it fully updated in terms of drivers; graphics, wireless internet, the works (I used Driver Booster to help me. It really simplified the process so I wasn't having to hunt all over Google for the XP drivers), and am using it as I type this. I know BWC has gotten Windows XP drivers to work, so I am confident 2000 will work here with a bit of tinkering. Again, any solution you guys have will be greatly appreciated! :)

2 hours ago, VistaEX said:

i have a ivybridge i5 computer that wont run windows 2000 at all so i have no idea how to help with this but good luck on finding the fix:D

You could try the F7 trick. If that doesn't work, @blackwingcat made a SATA driver that you can insert with the F6 option, or you can inject it into the ISO with something like nlite. That option is recommended as you wouldn't need to use a USB Floppy Drive for it (and those along with the associated disks would be hard to find outside of some rando selling one). You will also most likely get a BSOD relating to USBhub20.sys. Using Rufus to prepare a Linux USB and then booting directly to it from the USB, you can find the W2k drive, point to the USBhub20.sys, back it up to a different USB, and then delete it. This will allow W2K to boot. To get USB working, you need to install it manually (I mentioned this above), but am not sure on how to do that. Hopefully someone has a fix for your problem as well as mine.

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, legacyfan said:

i have a ivybridge i5 computer that wont run windows 2000 no matter what i try good luck at finding a fix:D

I know this is old, but since it's my thread, I should be fine. Anywho, I finally figured this out. Not with the Acer Aspire E1-531 (I broke that the week of USA Memorial Day), but with a Dell Latitude E6530 with Ivy Bridge that I acquired 4th of July week. Regardless of what I have, it should work with Sandy Bridge too. If you are interested in running Windows 2000 on Sandy/Ivy Bridge, you can learn how to do so here: http://windowsenthusiasts1.epizy.com/