changing windows 10 default view for control panel registry tweak and gpedit.msc did not work for open shell

cov3rt

I was wondering if there really is a way to make it so when opening control panel, regardless of how you last opened it, for it to always open in the category view in windows 10 if using the control panel display as a link option with the open shell add on? i had followed the instructions in the below article, but despite doing so, restarting system, it still open in large icons view. the modifications DO work for the default way of accessing control panel through either file explorer or windows system - control panel, however, accessing them through that route requires extra steps, and although you can pin to open shell start menu from the windows system route, i don't want to be opening it from there, but rather from the right side.

so i was able to find the solution for open shell. it is found in the main menu tab for settings for open shell menu 4.4.152. all you need to do is check "use categories view for the control panel", click ok, and your done. however, the registry and gpedit.msc may still be needed, at least for opening control panel elsewhere, so i would do all three for a complete mod. 

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It's also necessary to have Show all settings enabled in Open-Shell for Use Categories view checkbox to show up. BTW, you didn't link the article you mentioned about those registry settings.

yes, that setting must also be present for the use categories view checkbox to show up, i thought i already put the url, but it is provided below, note, it mentions method 2, but i'm not sure if you only need one or the other, i would recommend doing everything, as i did both method 1 and 2, and of course, the open shell part to complete my requirements - 

https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/how-to-change-windows-10s-default-control-panel-view/

Edited by cov3rt