Attempting to install Windows 2K on Thinkpad X201i - Running into SATA driver issues

Hey all, as the title says, I've been trying to install Windows 2K on my X201i for the past couple of days but seem to be totally getting stumped with the SATA/AHCI driver as no matter what drivers I've used, I always crash after selecting my F6 driver (it selects and attempts to load before coughing up the dreaded Error 0x0000007b).

I've got the following background info that might show what I'm exactly screwing up here to those who are more experienced:

1. I'm using WinSetupFromUSB as it allows you to custom-load your own F6 driver disk
  2. I'm about 90% convinced that I need to source a driver for the Intel 5 series/3400 series specifically as that is the driver that every newer OS picks up
  3. I've used BlackWingCat's "Intel Matrix Storage Manager 7.6 for Windows 2000(Intel 5 Series 莉・蜑榊ッセ蠢�-type c)" driver and UniATA
  4. I've never seen the 5 series and 3400 series as different drivers which I find highly odd.

I've been really stumped for way too long and have already spent a sleepless night trying to resolve this. I really hope I can get some advice for this one... I get the strongest feeling I might be looking in the wrong place for this driver (There is no mention of the 3400 series in BlackWingCat's driver) as it seems to be a bit more unique compared to the overall 5 series but I really have no way of knowing. Thanks in advance for the replies :)

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Compare the hardware ID of your SATA AHCI controller against the ones listed in BWC's driver INF file. If it's not there, copy it into BWC's INF and try.

I'm shocked I didn't think of that! I'll give it a shot and report back with the outcome.

I was able to pull the hardware ID although I'm not sure which one I should be using. I've also realized I've forgotten where I should be copying the hardware ID; There's two files, iaAHCI.inf and iaSTOR.inf, in BlackWingCat's driver.

intel5series.png.1e0851fdd5aa62a95f16408c258ce531.png

Thank you kindly and please forgive me for the stupid questions. I'm not as good at this kind of wizardry as I was a few years ago...

Edited by bluesteel649

Here's what I've been able to cobble together so far. Any references to "3400" or "3B2E" are things I have added in myself. 'Intel(R) 5 Series PCH SATA AHCI Controller' currently fails with the error: "Section Files.SCSI.DEV_3B2E of the INF file is invalid" whilst 'Intel(R) 3400 SATA AHCI Controller' gets all the way to "Starting Windows 2000" before coughing up the 0x0000007B error.

iaStor.infiaAHCI.infTXTSETUP.OEM

I noticed a possible error in your iaAHCI.inf. Change

; 3400
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101.DeviceDesc% = "Intel(R) 3400 SATA AHCI Controller 4 port"

to

; 3400
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101

Unfortunately that correction didn't yield any positive results on my end. I realized I was using an outdated version of the drivers from BWC and got a much more recent release (Intel Rapid Storage Manager 8.9g for Windows 2000 + Extended Core(Intel 300 Series 蟇セ蠢� - also attached). Compiling the cab file's contents as a disk image yields an "iastor.sys is corrupted error" and there is still no mention of DEV_3B2E but there are pre-existing entries for the 5/3400 series; it's no golden bullet but I think it's a much better point to search for a solution from.

Hopefully when I work out why I'm getting the corrupted .sys file error, I might have a bit less of a time working all this out...

iata89gw2k.cab

Edited by bluesteel649

Upon changing all mentions of 3B22 to 3B2E I manage to get pass the corruption error... only to be met with 0x0000007B once again, I think I'm extremely close at this point and I just need to find out what needs ironing out. I've also attached a zip file containing the modified INFs if anyone wants to have a closer look.

Once again, I am always open to advice or ideas on what to do because I'm still almost 100% clueless on what the hell I'm doing :D

BWC.zip

Edited by bluesteel649

You need to integrate the Windows 2000 extended core to use IMSM 8.9. And that is a very difficult task due to its heavily customized installer.

You can use the 2018 release of IMSM 7.6 for the same purpose. And if not, try this driver:

Actually, I think that when it complains about iastor corruption it tries to load the driver, whereas when you get the BSOD it doesn't find any entries in the inf so it tries to load the IDE driver. So try with 3B22.

Edited by win32

If you are crashing with 7B when installing from USB then try installing from CD. I banged my head against this for hours with my iodd external drive.

I would also verify that 2000 installs when using IDE as well. 

If good then install the AHCI drivers and switch to SATA in the BIOS or integrate the 7.6 drivers (with changes for your controller as needed) to an ISO and install.

Edited by DosFreak

6 hours ago, win32 said:

You need to integrate the Windows 2000 extended core to use IMSM 8.9. And that is a very difficult task due to its heavily customized installer.

You can use the 2018 release of IMSM 7.6 for the same purpose. And if not, try this driver:

Actually, I think that when it complains about iastor corruption it tries to load the driver, whereas when you get the BSOD it doesn't find any entries in the inf so it tries to load the IDE driver. So try with 3B22.

No luck with either of these drivers unfortunately. Gradually losing sanity but not hope just yet. Running it stock and loading 3B22 resulted in yet another 0x...7B BSOD.

I suppose it's back to tooling around until something sticks at this point :D

3 hours ago, DosFreak said:

If you are crashing with 7B when installing from USB then try installing from CD. I banged my head against this for hours with my iodd external drive.

I would also verify that 2000 installs when using IDE as well. 

If good then install the AHCI drivers and switch to SATA in the BIOS or integrate the 7.6 drivers (with changes for your controller as needed) to an ISO and install.

That's the whole root of my issue, the BIOS of the X201i has no IDE mode. I think the "compatibility" just disables AHCI, nicely done Lenovo!

I'd have just resigned to installing with IDE functionality by this point otherwise:buehehe:.

Edited by bluesteel649

OK, I've figured out the solution for your weird AHCI controller: replace your inf files with the ones from the official XP SATA AHCI controller driver package (https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1im15ww.exe) and remove all instances of "ntx86".

That file doesn't actually reference DEV_3B2E anywhere!

Edited by win32

Success! Holy crap, I'm so glad it finally installed! Thank you so much for your help Win32 :worship:

I do have one more question though... I've been reading in the forum that multicore support is a bit off and requires specific updates, but the pinned thread on the matter is about 4 years old. I was hoping to find out if I should follow that thread or is there anything I can do to ensure the updates I install won't give me troubles with my core2duo. Also one last question, where would be the best place to source Intel series 5/3400 drivers from? I remember there was a pretty decent set of executable Chipset installers from BlackWingCat but I can't see to find them

Edited by bluesteel649

To fix multicore heat issues, apply the KB919521 reg tweak. But you will still have issues after returning from standby or hibernation. I'm trying to get XP's intelppm.sys, which makes Enhanced SpeedStep support native, to be installed in win2k but no success.

Search for "chipset" on BWC's WLU site and you'll find several sets of Intel chipset drivers.

I’ll be sure to give those a shot when I get back from work! Though I managed to install some stuff and blackwingcat’s KernelEX, it lead to my system being extremely slow to start and unable to login do you have any advice on what I might have done wrong there?