DiskConfiguration - Keep existing partition

Hello,

I have 1 disk with C: and D: partiton and I would like to keep the D:\ partition. So is it possible to keep the D: partition while the other (C:, MSR, EFI, WindowsRE) are erased and re-created?

Thanks in advance

Sure you can :).

This has always been true, even for logical volumes inside extended (but a few caveats applied to this particular case) but since you are on EFI/UEFI all volumes are primary partitions, i.e. they are self-standing and have an "own" entry in the (EFI/UEFI) partition table.

Though :dubbio:- generically speaking - there is not any real reason to actually delete and recreate a partition/volume, if you are "not happy" with the contents of a partition/volume you can zero (i.e. wipe IF needed) the contents and re-format the partition/volume without "erasing and recreating" it.

As well there are tools to move/resize partitions (if the contents are fine but the issue is with size).

Maybe you could provide some more info on your needs and we could assist you in a better or simpler procedure?

jaclaz 

I can't follow you. I want to make the installation unattended. At first I have to create an unattended file with the System Image Manager that comes with the Windows ADK but I'm struggling with the component "DiskConfiguration".

Like I said I have 1 disk with C: and D: partiton. The D: partition is important so I have to manage that only C: is formatted and recreated so that Windows is installed on C: while D: is untouched.

Edit: ok got it. Just Define a "ModifyPartition" component with the settings:

Format: NTFS

Letter: C

Order: 1

PartitionID: 4

This configuration lets the partitons WinRE, MSR and EFI  + D: untouched and only formats C: and installs Windows on C:

Edited by Trolleule