http://www.smartads.co.uk

m8E

Hi everyone,

I have a small proplem with a website which I would like you all to visit and tell me if you get the same result from the home page as I do. It's a UK website called:

http://www.smartads.co.uk

and it claims you can advertise your car, or anything else on the website, however, whenever I've brought up the home page it has always only ever shown a 'Place a new ad, go' button or 'Remove an old ad, go' button to click on. Previously I'd thought I'd placed an advert on this website and had to give email address details etc to register, however I can't see anywhere on this website where any adverts whatsoever can be viewed :)

Under the 2 main buttons to click on are the QPresenter logo links to click on to take you to the QPresenter website, which I don't want, and the 4 links to click on:

About us | Copyright | Contact us | Links all of which don't take me to view my advert. Also all attempts to make contact the people at smartads via email simply fail. This smartads website is connected with another website/company called http://www.digitalimage.co.uk which I have also tried to contact via email but once again all email attempts have failed :D

Does anyone else get any different results showing on the smartads homepage? Is all this just happening to me only? :rolleyes: Please tell me if you get any different buttons to click on on this home page because I'm beginning to think this website isn't what it claims to be!

~Thanx~

Hi Datalore. You see no links or buttons to click on which might take you to view adverts, no? :) and no links or buttons to click on which might take you to a page where a person could un-register from this website, no? :rolleyes:

Uhh, did you read my post?

View items for sale = A place where you can view items people have put up for sale

You specifically said you only saw two buttons, the bottom two, so I gave you links to the top two. I see four buttons.

And to unregister you click "Remove and old ad"

Hi Datalore, this is getting odder :) this is what your first post showed:

Here's what I see:

|

Place a new ad | Remove an old ad

from this I assumed you only saw two buttons to click on when you visited that website and didn't realise you'd seen four buttons.

Each time I've visited that website I've not seen a 'view items for sale' button, I've always just seen the two 'Place a new ad' and 'Remove an old ad' buttons and not much else. The 'Remove an old ad' button I agree would remove the ad which was placed but not I think the actual registration to the website which is something I would like to find how to do if possible.

I don't see any links in your first post which is strange as you say you gave me links to the top two buttons which you saw there but you obviously can see more than me on that website when you visit it, could you revisit the website and copy/paste here direct links to their 'view items for sale' page and the other one which I cannot see either. I realise you say you already gave links for the two top buttons but there wasn't anything for me to click on in your first post.

~Thanx~

Ok, sorry for getting a bit snappy then. It looks like you've got spyware or something that's not allowing you to see certain links, no matter where they are. That is really odd. :) Hmm, download Ad-aware and scan, and go to the ActiveX controls folder and use good judgement to delete any of them that look odd. (Usually C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files) Right click any of them in there and select properties to see their source address.

Also, check your hosts file afterwards. C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\ a file called hosts. Just copy and paste this into the Run window-

notepad.exe C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\HOSTS

Clear out everything except

127.0.0.1       localhost

Afterwards if that doesn't fix it download Spybot S&D. Let us know how it goes!

Oh and here's the address from the first post: (I'll put spaces in there, just remove them)

www. smart ads. co.uk/ ads.asp ?type=sales

www. smart ads. co.uk/ ads.asp ?type=wanted

Thanks Jono for looking for me, you're the second person able to view that website whilst I still cannot, and thanks Datalore, this is how it went...

I've been using Spybot S+D for a short while already and it has cleared out pretty much everything like that already, so then I put in

notepad.exe C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\HOSTS

into the run window and a notepad window came up with 127.0.0.1 localhost being the only one there already. I didn't change anything there.

Then I tried the links you gave and did get a different page than I had been able to find previously, but it didn't show much at all, there was a 'categories' button on the left near the top which didn't click, a 'back to homepage' button on the bottom left corner which did click and worked, and a simple message on the page saying: Please choose a category from the list opposite... and there were no categories anywhere to be seen :rolleyes: This same page came up for both of the links you provided.

If you guys can see everything on that http://www.smartads.co.uk website without any trouble I don't think it is my computer or it's installed software causing this problem because I first went to that website when I had a previous computer and I had the same things happen then, mind you I'm no expert on these things and it's just an amateur's guess :)

...and that's how it went :D