obvious (so probably stupid) question

hey,

so im about to start making a new xp cd image and i was thinking about how id add the hotfixes and i thought, "why cant we just extract the update into the i386 file and add the reg entries into the hive files?"

does setup check the files before installing them, like for their checksum and version and stuff?

i dont know what autopatcher-xp is (about to search), but the other methods all take time during the install to run the patch and update it (unless im wrong), so doing it manually would, int he long run, be faster

yes u can pretty much do it the way u want it

but it takes more time to go through all of the hotfixes 1 by 1

and its not easy, on the way of doing it, u'll probably have to test it billions of times to see if u missed something.

so yes put the files manually to the i386 folder update txtsetup.sif dosnet.inf, if putting drivers update driver's inf (i cannot recall the name)

and put the registry entries into hive*.inf's

i had started some of them but as i said it takes frigging long time...

and if u could hold on for a while rtm of sp2 will be released soon..

I extracted all sp2-hotfix in one folder and keep the last version of each. I compressed all the files with makecab and put them in i386 folder. I updated dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif.

For the reg entry i opened update.inf which can be find in each hotfix pack. And copied the addreg and delreg section in hivesft.inf

I made this in 4h. I don't know if i missed something.

For the files, i am sure that they are all copied in my disk with the last version. But for the reg entries, i only use update.inf reg entries. is there other reg entries to add?

When i execute qfecheck.exe, it says all is fine.