What does the copy Opera 12.18 into a 12.02 Folder Accomplish?

fortcollins

With Opera 12.02 under Windows 98, I cannot access many websites.  I get fatal error 40 messages, no matching encryption methods.

I followed the technique suggested in the link above of copying a Opera 12.18 system to a Opera 12.02 folder to get Opera 12.18 on Windows 98.  The technique says to leave in place, from Opera 12.02, opera.dll, html5_entity_init.data, and the gstreamer directory.

I had some difficulty getting this to work because, in my Win 98 system, I had Multi User=0 in [System] in Operaprefs_default.ini.  When I copied the 12.18 system from Windows 7, I copied the Windows 7 operaprefs_default.ini file.  That file did not include a Multi User spec.  The copied system did not recognize my profile settings in program files\Opera 12.18\profile.  When the program opened, I had no menus.  When I put the spec back in, the program worked.  It took a while to figure this out.

Having done that and used the program, I wonder what this exercise accomplishes.

In settings, advanced, security, security protocols, details, I still have the ciphers that I had in 12.02 in Windows 98.  Compared with the ciphers available in 12.18 in Windows 7, I have no ECDHE, elliptic curve Duffie Huffman ciphers, and no GCM, Gelois Counter Mode, ciphers.  I saw only six common ciphers in 12.18 on Windows 7 and my 12.18 and 12.02 systems on Windows 98.  The web sites that didn't work, such as motherjones.com, still don't work.

It looks like I still have a 12.02 system?  Did this exercise accomplish anything?

Has anyone had more success with this technique?

I am sorry about that, I had heard it done before on MSFN so I tried it myself. It does not seem to accomplish anything & can make Speed Dial look ugly. Also misaligns resize modes selection spot in playback on YouTube.

Why start a new topic though? I know that one of Destro's topics has been lost before, so I might take a personal copy of some of my posts.

motherjones.com works with CometBird with the mods I suggested. Page loads fast but as I scroll down the page stops with no CPU usage & no extra virtual memory commitment, so needs investigation, inherent with this vs XUL runner I would guess. Wyzo uses FireFox 3.6.28 in my build & uses the Retrozilla library mods, as I put them in system, & works easily with motherjones.com. One problem with FF3.6 is that Gif images do not work. A compromise might be to use an in between vs. Loblo's suggestion of using Burp is really good but I am still investigating and I will try to create a shutdown script to unregister the Burp settings and re-register on startup if needed.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 1 month later...

Wikipedia works but I have had trouble with standard 12.02.  Found this does not work without Opera 12.18 files update as well. https://xem.github.io/minix86/manual/intel-x86-and-64-manual-vol1/o_7281d5ea06a5b67a-197.html 
This comment is not true it was because TLS2 and TLS1.1 was not enabled.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
False information