ASPI for windows 10 64 bit

Dclem

For many years, I have used Plextor SCSI drives (8/20 CD writer & 40max CD ROM) in my computers.  Back in November, I finally moved to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Windows XP 32 bit.   Most of my 32 bit programs function well on Windows 10.   Now, I am preparing to install my Adaptec AVA-2906 SCSI card with my Plextor drives.   Some skilled person on the internet has made 64-bit compatible drivers to support some of Adaptec’s cards under Windows 10 and I plan to use that driver for my 2906 SCSI card.   I ran ASPICHK.exe and it reports that wnaspi32.dll (version 4.60) is installed in the syswow64 folder of my system.  I suspect this was installed following my installing Exact Audio Copy version .095beta or NERO 64 bit software.   I use EAC to rip audio from CDs on my Plextor PX891AF drive which is a SATA drive.  I also use Nero to write CDs.....both work successfully now.   My question, does anyone know if the current ASPI on my system would be sufficient to successfully use my Plextor SCSI drives once installed?   I know that ASPI32.sys is not required because it is for 32 bit and WOWpost.exe is used for 16 bit programs.  (these are two additional ASPI files installed in 32 bit systems).  Has anyone had any success in using SCSI on Windows 10 64 bit?   Any recommendations?   For anyone interested in obtaining the unsigned SCSI driver it is available here

ASPI has been historically not supported by MS (and delegated to Adaptec) and SPTI was used:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140203072159/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182542/en-us

Adaptec is no more, and a quick search on the  site www.adaptec.com resolves to:

https://www.microsemi.com/

which gives no results for ASPI, but something can be found on 

https://storage.microsemi.com/

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/speed/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2_exe.php

(I believe it is the latest ASPI version from Adaptec :unsure:)

So, it is years that the FrogASPI exists,  it is a mapping of ASPI commands to SPTI ones, at least on 32 bit systems it worked just fine, but in your case I would try to use the Starburn drivers (that have been tested on Windows 10 x64, at least in a VM, with success), see:

http://wp.xin.at/archives/829

jaclaz

@jaclaz thank you so much for your informative reply.   I had run across the XIN.AT page in my google searching, but after reading your post, I went back and re read more thoroughly.   I agree with you, the Starburn ASPI drivers appear to be the way to go in my situation.  It appears that there has been successful testing on Windows 10 Pro with these drivers.   I have downloaded both the Starburn and FrogASPI and will see which is the most successful route to take on my system.  My fingers are crossed........... also, I have read where the Adaptec ASPI version 4.60 is actually more reliable than the newer 4.71.2 version, but then again, these are 32 bit.

Edited by Dclem

Yep :), the 4.60 vs. 4.71.2 is another issue that is long-standing (and that originated the ForceASPI set of sctipts), AFAICR it depends a lot on the combo of OS/Motherboard/SCSI card AND software in use.

I will confess that I do have *somewhere* an oooold SCSI Plextor CD drive (one of the earliest models, 1x or 2x, that use a caddy/cartridge for the CD) on a NT 4.00 machine :w00t: with an Adaptec SCSI 29xx card which I use - maybe once every year or every two years - to recover contents of CD's that more modern drives simply cannot read and that particular setup - if I recall correctly - uses ASPI 4.60, though I rarely use it for music CD's/with EAC.

Anyway modern releases of EAC should need not an ASPI layer and use SPTI, though actual behaviour needs to be tested on the spoecific machine/setup.

Keep us informed on the results of the test with the Starburn drivers ...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 years later...

Your information is very out of date.
In 2020, me and other members of the GearSpace.com forum found several wnaspi32.dll files that are completely workable in Windows x64, even in Windows 11.
These are two files from Ratoc and one from Nexitech.
They work with all SCSI devices - scanners, samplers, CD-ROMs, hard drives, etc.
You can find and download them here:
https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1010572-smdi-scsi-sample-transfer-win-x64-who-has-solution.html
Pages 3 and 4.

Edited by esasoft

19 hours ago, esasoft said:

Your information is very out of date.
In 2020, me and other members ...

Well it was up to date when it was posted, in 2019, if you prefer, at the time the user Dclem had the issue, the info I posted were "state of the art".

I am pretty sure that if your hobby is to go around the internet to tell people that they are wrong or that their info is outdated you must be rather busy.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

To jaclaz

Of course, I understand that it is difficult to admit that you are wrong, especially when you don’t think with your head and write all sorts of stupid things to people who just want to help others, but you really should tense your brains and try your best!
And if you have not been taught how to communicate with people normally, then buy an ABC book and start your life from scratch.
If you have nothing to write on the topic - why the hell to offend other people and show your stupidity ???

5 minutes ago, esasoft said:

To jaclaz

Of course, I understand that it is difficult to admit that you are wrong, especially when you don’t think with your head and write all sorts of stupid things to people who just want to help others, but you really should tense your brains and try your best!
And if you have not been taught how to communicate with people normally, then buy an ABC book and start your life from scratch.
If you have nothing to write on the topic - why the hell to offend other people and show your stupidity ???

Hey, you started it.

If your incipit had not been senselessly aggressive (and gratuitous, besides incorrect), I wouldn't have replied.

jaclaz

No, you started it.
Where did you see the aggressiveness in my words ???
I was simply stating the fact that the information was out of date. And for some reason you took it as an insult. Why ???
And where did you see that I write about this everywhere? One post on one forum - is it "everywhere"? Why write nonsense?