Magnetic Paddle Accident

humble3d

So what are you results resetting the cmos and bios together?  Because it is starting to sound like something else is wrong too, have you checked you Power supply voltages?

Just as a side note, if it is new, tell HP you are a new computer user and you didn't know that refrigerator magnets weren't supposed to be stuck to the case, and could they fix it.  :)

your idea seems good to me and i am trying it again and will advise...

many thanks

Update

Well, I've tried everything you've suggested except to run out and get another

video card...perhaps i'll try that tomorrow.

Many thanks

General note:

He used a magnetic paddle on the system while it was in operation, with physical contact between the paddle and drive.

I have a few of these paddles at work, its how we wipe drives before sending to public sale (I work for a school board). The ones we have are powerfull enough to move the drives without physical contact across a desk.

Now think, other than the two magnets and the disks, what else is in a HDD that can be magneticly manipulated? Not much! Very powerfull. Comeon, I'm talking about a field strong enough to alter data through the lead sheilding that most drives have.

My only recomendation is to try a cmos/bios reset, and if that doesnt work, then your screwed, and I would send your friend a bill for a replacement mobo, cpu, and HDD.

You created a massive magnetic field inside and around electrical componets, most likely shorting them all out. This is the same affect that EMPs use to do their dammage, and why electrical equipment always has those little symbols that say not magnets or whatever.

that paddle has probably driven the drive head into the platter and you arent likley to ever use it ever again, well.. maybe as a paper weight.

Sounds like you also fubared something else while shoving this magnetic paddle into your pc (while running!)

Well... least you believe the paddle works now.....

I would suggest a complete strip down of your system, find the damaged parts by swapping for parts you know work, junk the rest, oh and get new friends.