Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

cc333

Is it Possible to use the old Display control panel from XP?

Posted (edited)

I'd like to know, is it possible to use the old Display control panel, in its entirety, from XP?

I have enabled the somewhat buggy, but usable classic theme, but it breaks the Personalization control panel, so I can't change the desktop icons, wallpaper or screensaver.

Altenatively, can we somehow get the Windows 7 Personalization to work?

Thanks!

c

Edited by Tripredacus

Posted (edited)

There was an updated version of the Classic Theme hack that makes IE 11 (or 10) and Control Panel work

EDIT:  Here ya go:

Edited by Jody Thornton

Posted (edited)

@Jody Thornton Thank you for that, but I think I've found a workaround!

It's called Personalization10 by WinAero:

personalization10.jpg.49d1622454a7af81822d4314ca3410e2.jpg

It was meant for Windows 10 and it's user hostile settings app, but it seems to work quite well on my Highly modified Windows 8.1 install (as you can see, I have the classic theme fully enabled and configured to look like Windows 7's classic theme, but with full hardware acceleration!)

I shall still investigate your suggestion, however, as it would be nice to get the native Win8.1 version working, if that's possible.

c

Edited by cc333