File synchronization across multiple sites?

Tripredacus

I am helping with a project that is currently in the brainstorming phase, and I am not quite sure what kinds of terms to be using for searching. I am looking for some examples of solutions that can accomplish this goal.

The basics of it are, there are multiple computers that have the same folder and file structure. There is a master location and child locations. When a file is added to (or updated on) the master location, it needs to be copied to the child location. The other requirement is that files need to be enabled for transfer, so that the child locations do not get updates that are not approved. For the network relation, the systems (master and children) are all on separate subnets and on different domains. The individual file sizes can range from 1KB to 10 GB. All of the servers are using (at least) Server 2008 R2 Standard.

If you know of any programs, products or services that can accomplish this task, feel free to post them here. Links to paid products can be posted by established forum members only.