Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

Hey all. I've been having a bit of an issue with getting these drivers working on Windows 95. Sound is indeed working (albeit, very jittery and slow), but the system is rendered unusable due to an inevitable crash. The error presented is "Runtime error 202 at 0003:020E", but sometimes the system will just lock up without displaying an error. I am running this on a Dell Latitude e6410 with the RAM limited to 448 MB. I have applied the Vcache, MinTimeSlice, and SMARTDRV stability fixes to no avail. Thanks.

HDAICIN.TXT HDAcfg.ini

Hi @daguil , nice you try Watler's win3x HD-audio driver on Windows 95 (OSR1 or OSR2?).

Runtime error 202 is not good.

On first sight I would have following suggestions.

I Windows check's and balances:

A) change in Device Manager role of this computer to Networkserver and set slider of read-ahead buffer of hard disk to max (64 KB?).

B) check version of Directx, should be 8.0 (8.0a?).

Reboot and compare, sound quality too.

II HDA2.DLL specific:

A) check in CONFIG.SYS if you are using EMM386.EXE (or EMM386). If yes, disable with REM before. If CONFIG.SYS is not onboard, skip this step.

B) check in Device Manager if virtual memory is enabled.

1) you can try 'pcipatchB=$7900' in HDACFG.INI (without quotes)

2) you can try lowest vcache settings possible: MaxFileCache=32 and MinFileCache=32 together with the other two measures you tried already.

Please report your results. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, deomsh said:

Hi @daguil , nice you try Watler's win3x HD-audio driver on Windows 95 (OSR1 or OSR2?).

Runtime error 202 is not good.

On first sight I would have following suggestions.

I Windows check's and balances:

A) change in Device Manager role of this computer to Networkserver and set slider of read-ahead buffer of hard disk to max (64 KB?).

B) check version of Directx, should be 8.0 (8.0a?).

Reboot and compare, sound quality too.

II HDA2.DLL specific:

A) check in CONFIG.SYS if you are using EMM386.EXE (or EMM386). If yes, disable with REM before. If CONFIG.SYS is not onboard, skip this step.

B) check in Device Manager if virtual memory is enabled.

1) you can try 'pcipatchB=$7900' in HDACFG.INI (without quotes)

2) you can try lowest vcache settings possible: MaxFileCache=32 and MinFileCache=32 together with the other two measures you tried already.

Please report your results. :rolleyes:

Currently running OSR2.5 C.
Did all of the above recommendations, with no change unfortunately.
DirectX actually wasn't installed, so I installed it, but no change.
Interestingly, it appears that the only sounds that jitter are system sounds and WAV files. Playing video files (for example, from the FUNSTUFF folder) leads to almost flawless playback, hold for the few pauses in playback.

UPDATE: Tried it on Windows 98 SE as well, with no change. In fact, Windows 98 seems to have even more issues, as it crashes with an empty white box before it can even load the desktop.

Edited by daguil

That's sad.

System sounds do not use a player with DirectSound. WAV-files can be associated with another player, Windows Media Player for instance. I do not know if this is possible for System Sounds. I only use them if I want to test if sound is actually working.

If Windows 98 SE has the same problems, maybe your computer can become more stable with:

C) less hardware (video) acceleration - in Device Manager.

If no change:

D) installation without plug and play bios, so SETUP /p i (watch the space in between in /p i). Should be supported with Windows 95 too.

This is quite easy in following way:

1) make a new folder, say C:\WINDOWS.NEW and copy at least:

COMMAND.COM, HIMEM.SYS, IFSHLP.SYS, DBLBUFF.SYS, SETVER.EXE and SMARTDRV.EXE to this folder. Further copy full folder of C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND to C:\WINDOWS.NEW - so to get C:\WINDOWS.NEW\COMMAND (if C:\WINDOWS is your current Windows folder).

2) Go to a Real Mode MS-DOS command prompt (outside Windows!) an rename:

REN C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS.ORG

then

REN C:\WINDOWS.NEW C:\WINDOWS

and you are ready for a new installation from Real Mode (so do not start Windows, boot just to Command-prompt).

This way returning to the original installation is quite easy.

BTW backup of Program Files and My Documents is always a good idea, having the content of the Windows-cd-rom on your harddisk too. For instance in C:\WIN9525C (max 8+3 !). Otherwise you will need a bootdisk or MS-DOS cd-rom drivers.

Edited by deomsh
addition

@daguil I was thinking about the Windows Startup Sound. It could be possible playing of this sound during startup with HDA2.DLL disturbs other startup processes. 16-bits drivers use a mechanism that blocks the computer for a while.

So did you try without Startup Sound, any difference regarding Runtime error 202?

Hi guys, if anyone is interested to help me out, below is my testing info, and attached is the zip with the hdacfg.ini and hdaicout files, as well as HDA Utility exports.

On link are the laptop and the codec manuals, HDA Utility and IntelHDA screenshots, as well as the files from the attached zip - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19xcjnslL5ibH1E1PeedwKmc55QjnFPz-?usp=sharing

Laptop is HP/Compaq 2710p, audio codec AD1981HD.

Here is my testing info of the HDA driver:

- when starting Windows 98, I hear two clicks on my headphones, nothing else

- wav files seem to be playing on the player, but no sound is heard

- situation is the same with or without the HDAICOUT file

- Judas player in DOS plays the xm file at glance, sound is heard nicely via the headphones

- IntelHDA gives the same results before and after Judas - screenshots on link above

- Multimedia Settings - HDA Sound is there, and I can select it

- Device Manager - no new device shows as the driver is installed. There is an unknown PCI card with a same PCI address which is shown by IntelHDA, so I guess that might be the HDA card, but it stays unrecognized

- HDA Utility - I tried it with Windows 10 that has the HDA driver installed, I exported what I was able (on link). Unfortunately, there is no graphic present, probably because of win 10. I don't know if that is crucial.

- HDACFG.INI - I tried various combinations of widget numberings, all that made sense to me according to the AD1981HD manual and the HDA Utility info. Foremost changing the Sleeping and Output widgets to $03. Nothing made a difference, maybe sometimes I lost the start-up clicks or got error messages, I'm not sure if that was connected. Attached is the original, system generated HDACFG.ini

Some other info:

- Windows 98 keep adding "wave=mmsystem.dll" to system.ini. Should it be present? If it's present, system crashes when using the driver version K or L, but J works. I don't know if that is relevant though, when system didn't crash, it made no difference to the above.

Let me know your thoughts, cheers!

Hda.zip

Hello @sifonium you studied use of HDA2.DLL already.

About your question regarding HDACFG.INI:

SleepingWidget=$03
OutputWiget=$03

are according to the datasheet of AD1981HD.

In case of using headphones I would suggest:

VolumeWidget=$06

The unknown Device in Device Manager will be the HDA-controller (communicates with the Codec).

The 'HDA utility' is working in Windows 7, not 'good' for Windows 10 (as far as I know). Luckily not needed: the datasheet of AD1981HD you uploaded gives the functional block diagram already.

About SYSTEM.INI and 'wave=mmsystem.dll' I will have to investigate/ reinvestigate your problem. For now move on with HDA2.DLL version J.

I took a look in your HDACFG.INI and I have bad (or maybe good) news: you have to use verbs in HDAICOUT.HDA starting with ($)1....... because 'CODEC Index=$1'. Also you seem to have used the version of HDAICOUT.HDA included with the driver. This is more an example-version how HDAICOUT.HDA can be used (made by Watler).

A few years ago I uploaded three quasi-universal versions of HDAICOUT.HDA in this thread. Maybe it's good to upload them again, this thread has becoming quite long in the meantime (only one line is changed in the $1 and the $2 versions, further all max volumes lowered from 7F to 1F - thanks to experiment of @Vigami).

I would suggest to try again if the version of HDAICOUT.HDA ment for 'CODEC Index=$1' is making any difference.

Please report your results.

HDAICOUT.HDA.zip

Edited by deomsh
typo's, addition

Hi deomsh, thanks for your quick response!

I did the following:

- edited the volume down to 1F001F00 (HDACFG.INI)

- placed the HDAICOUT.HDA from your "CODEC Index=$1" folder, to my "c:\Windows\" folder

- tried all the combinations below (HDACFG.INI):

SleepingWidget=$03, 14 (I don't know if 14 makes sense here, but I tried it)
OutputWiget=$03
VolumeWidget=$03, 05, 06, 07, 14

No changes, sound is not there, except for the two clicks when Windows show up.

I guess you would have warned me, but let me check anyway - can this work at all if there is no HDA device present in any of the known categories in the Device Manager?

Looking forward to the next step - if there's any :)

Cheers!

Sad, I hoped right version of HDAICOUT.HDA would be of any help.

I will have to study some of your files.
Can you please upload your CURRENT HDALOG.TXT, HDAICIN.TXT (made with HDAICOUT.HDA for Codec Index=$1).
Also I'd like to have your full SYSTEM.INI, because of the erratic behavior with 'wave=mmsystem.dll' you mentioned.

This time I checked the codec-entrances in HDACFG.INI, it seems the driver is too quick with skipping Codec Index=$0, so now your modem is identified as HDA-codec. This happens sometimes (see reports earlier in this thread).

Now in section [HDA_284B8086,30C8103C] is noted: 'CODEC_VID=$14F1' and 'CODEC_DID=$2C06'. See screenshot below:

697341262_ModemVID154F1PID2C06.png.71bd809eaadbd3a63763d68def9edd50.png

According to the datasheet of AD1981HD you provided this should have been 11D41981 (VID/PID - see page 11).
But I will have to read HDALOG.TXT to be more sure.

How about if you switch your modem off in your BIOS, and then try again. First without HDAICOUT.HDA, then with HDAICOUT.HDA: for "CODEC Index=$0". So three sets of HDALOG.TXT and HDAICIN.TXT needed.

Edited by deomsh
Changes

I get what you are saying about the modem, and this sounds like it could be the main problem. Maybe that is the reason why the HDA doesn't get recognized in Device Manager?

Unfortunately, there is no option in the bios to remove it, should I try to disconnect it physically? I'd rather not dismantle the laptop, but hopefully I can. :) Also, let me know if I should look for the solution in the previous posts.

So, just in case something could change, I disabled all other built-in devices I could. It didn't change anything.

Then I let Windows create another HDACFG.INI, edited the widgets, erased the .txt logs, and let Windows create them freshly. I uploaded them to a new folder called "Tests v2" on the same google drive link. SYSTEM.INI is there too, but this mmsystem driver doesn't seem to crash my system any more, maybe it was something else. Should I try another version of the driver again (K or L), is there some important difference?

I also added a more thorough manual of my laptop to the PDF Manuals folder. There is some more info on the built-in devices and how they are mapped, maybe that might help.

Note:

- after disabling all the built-in devices i could, the Pci mem of the card (IntelHDA) jumped from from E4644 to E4544, I don't know if that is relevant

If you can't disable your modem in BIOS, then we have to continue with the modem switched on. Physically removing seems much to risky to me. In the past I opened two laptops, but both times I damaged parts. Especially the flat plastic signal cables are easily broken. Also it's likely the modem and audio are on the same chip.

Be aware the HDA-controller is identified by HDA2.DLL only, not by Windows. Windows has no inf(ormation) file onboard to identify the controller, so will show an unidentified Device in Device Manager.
But the HDA-codec should be visible in 'Sounds and Audio Devices / Multimedia' as part of Control Panel.

I studied the files you uploaded and things were as suspected.
In the first part of HDALOG.TXT you can see the driver has found the HDA-codec on 'Codec Index 0' , but the second GET-verb retrieved no information and the driver moved on to 'Çodec Index 1'. Here the modem was identified. This time there where any meaningful responses and the driver stayed on 'Codec Index 1', which is the wrong codec.

$000F0000=$11D41981
$000F0004=$00000000
$000F0005=$00000000
$100F0000=$00000000
$100F0000=$00000000
$100F0004=$00000000
$100F0005=$00000000
$100F0000=$14F12C06
$100F0002=$00100000
$100F0004=$00020001
$101F0011=$00000000
$101F2000=$00000000
$101F000F=$00000000
$101F000A=$00000000
$101F000B=$00000000
$10324011=$00000000
$10370610=$00000000
$10370500=$00000000
$1063A07F=$00000000
$1063907F=$00000000

Also you can see the SET-verbs sent to widgets '03' and '06' according to your entrances in HDACFG.INI:

SleepingWidget=$03 => powered up with '$10370500'
VolumeWidget=$06 => volume set to max with '$1063A07F' and '$1063907F' (L/R)
OutputWidget=$03 => stream parameters and  and channels set with '$10324011' respective '$10370610'.

Nothing happens however because of the wrong 'Codec Index'.

About your SYSTEM.INI: should work, to be fully sure you can change order in subsection [drivers] to:

[drivers]
wave=mmsystem.dll
midi=mmsystem.dllwavemapper=*.drv
MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm
WAVE=HDA2.DLL
;;WAVEHDA=HDA2.DLL

But I doubt this will make any difference!

You can proceed with following experiments:
First: ALWAYS use HDAICOUT.HDA for 'Codec Index=$0'
Second: start with HDA2.DLL from version J, then version K and last version L. Always watch in HDACFG.INI if your HDA-codec is identified or there are changes to hear in your headphones.

ONLY If this brings nothing, you can try 'pcipathB=$7900' (no quotes of course) and start with HDA2.DLL version J again.
Be aware: writing to chipset registers is at your own risk (if any)!"

BTW can you do me a favor: please upload the contents of version HDADRV9K to your google drive? I missed this version somehow.

On 5/13/2023 at 3:04 AM, sifonium said:

Note:

- after disabling all the built-in devices i could, the Pci mem of the card (IntelHDA) jumped from from E4644 to E4544, I don't know if that is relevant

I doubt this will make any difference! There will be some memory freed.

Edited by deomsh
Corrections

Great news - the sound works now with the Index=0 HDAICOUT! Bravo!!

I tried it first with the L driver version, and it worked, so I haven't tried the others. I uploaded the K one to gdrive.

Then I experimented with the widget configs to try to get the sound out of the speaker instead of the headphones, and after a couple of variants, I realized that it made no difference what I write, whatsoever. I could even change the Output widget to whatever number, and the sound was still here - but only through the headphones.

WAVEOUT volume control also has no effect, volume is always the same. 

I guess the reason could be that HDACFG.INI still has the CODEC Index=1, and the modem's VID and DID written in it. I tried to change those to the actual values, but Windows keeps reverting it to the modem ones.

I uploaded the latest test files to gdrive, folder "tests v3".

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this? It would be great to have volume control, also sound on the speaker.

Notes:

- Whenever changing some hdacfg.ini config, or deleting the log files, the first, or couple of first boots end up in runtime errors. Then it gets normal.

- system.ini - when i have "wave=hda2.dll" instead of "wavehda=hda2.dll", Windows stopped adding the "wave=mmsystem.dll". Also having two of "wave=" seems to disable one of them.

- regarding the PCI memory thing from my last post - IntelHDA is showing a different memory address of the HDA card now (after I disabled all built in devices i could in bios). But I guess that's irrelevant.

MIDI:

I managed to install Yamaha S-YXG100plus soft synth, to work alongside as a Windows 98 MIDI driver - the Yamaha midi synth shows up in MM settings and can be used. That place was empty before, as the Windows MIDI driver didn't work with this HDA driver.

SYSTEM.INI settings for it:

;;wave=mmsystem.dll

;;midi=mmsystem.dll

;;midi8=sxgma.drv

;;wave8=sxgma.drv

;;mixer8=sxgma.drv

midi=sxgma.drv

wavemapper=*.drv

MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm

MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm

WAVE=HDA2.DLL

First few boots I got blue screens, but then it stabilized.

So, my conclusions about the SYSTEM.INI config and the HDA driver (at least in my case) are:

- there should be just one "WAVE=" entry, and just one "MIDI=" entry - no "WAVEHDA=", "WAVExxx=", "MIDIxxx="..

- if there is "WAVEHDA=" or "WAVExxx=" and no "WAVE=" entry, the system keeps adding it's own "WAVE=mmsystem.dll" which in my case can't coexist with the HDA driver. 

For information - both audio and Yamaha midi work with VDMSOUND in DOS mode, as well. There is some stuttering though, which is not present in Windows. But, I only tested Prince of Persia in DOS mode, and Doom95 in Windows, for now.

One more question - are there any settings I could play with to tackle the latency, or potential stuttering?

I'm really happy about the progress, cheers!

Edited by sifonium

Very good - big progress.

Thanks a lot for uploading HDADRV9K !

You are now in the same situation as @Vigami : your HDA-codec is fully set by the SET verbs in HDAICOUT.HDA. So you will have to do everything with the verbs in this file. However: WAVEOUT.EXE can not work, the driver will not find the VolumeWidget anymore (is sending verbs to the wrong codec, your modem at 'Codec Index=$1' - as you stated already). See https://msfn.org/board/topic/178295-audio-driver-for-realtek-hd-audio-hardware-testing-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1243866

About mmsystem.dll: I have no clue, it is strange, but if it's working on your system....

About stabilizing measures: see my suggestions I gave @daguil , your direct predecessor in this thread.

Other possibilities (just suggestions, I am tapping in the dark).

Warning: experimental approach, so best make changes one-by-one!

1) add MinSPs=32 to SYSTEM.INI [386Enh]

2) add STACKS=9,256 to your CONFIG.SYS

3) reinstall your video driver

4) Open MSCONFIG and try following

a. Disable all entries in StartUp(?)/ Run(?) - if possible. DO NOT uncheck SystemTray and LoadPowerProfile

b. uncheck (System.ini) ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 - unless you have a swapfile with fixed size.

c. Experiment with various troubleshooting settings (Advanced).

d. Experiment with vcache/ MinTimeSlice settings

5) check in Device Manager if:

a. DMA checkboxes for all hard drives are checked.

b. DMA-buffer is set to 64KB in properties of the Direct Memory controller.

6) in HDACFG.INI you can try:

a. pcipatchB=$7900

b. Verbinterface=$0

c. other timings settings than wait1=$100 and wait2=$100

But above all I would suggest

7) disable ALL Sound Events like Windows Startup Sound, etcetera.

8) really important is the setting of mci-wave buffer: 4 seconds (default is 5). mci-wave buffer: 5 seconds (default is 4).Or just add 5 in SYSTEM.INI to the entrance

[mci]

waveaudio=mciwave.drv 5

9) clean (and if possible defragment/ shrink) your registry with some Win9x compatible tool.

BTW earlier I said the change memory address you saw in INTELHDA.EXE will probably mean only there is some free room because you disabled some devices in your BIOS.

Edited by deomsh
addition, typo, correction

Thank you for all this effort deomsh!

Regarding stability - I'm ok with the current situation, I'd say it is better than expected considering so far experience with this driver. Now I'm back to the J version of the driver, WinQuake didn't work with the L one.

So as I understand, most of these steps you wrote consider stability, except for the HDACFG ones, right? Some of them I already put in place, some of them I will try out yet. 

Verbinterface=$0 - it makes no difference, but makes a break in HDALOG with 3 lines begining with "First IRS change $...".

Timing changing and pcipatch make no difference.

I'd like to see what is possible for me to potentially get the sound on the speaker, also to have volume control - I read Vigami's and your posts, and I'd like to check some facts and ask some more questions, if that's ok.

1. Changing the HDACFG.INI basically does nothing in my case, since it's aimed at the wrong device (the modem). Only the HDAICOUT.HDA file communicates between the HDA driver and the HDA codec to configure the hda device - simply put. Is that correct?

2. HDAICOUT.HDA - it sends all the configuration messages / verbs to the HDA codec/device - power up, inputs, outputs, volume control,.. Right? As far as I managed to reach, these verbs consist of $ABCDEFGH, where A is codec index (in my case 0), BC is the Widget (or the Node?) to address, and GH is the value to assign to that address. Is that correct? And excuse my poor terminology.

I wasn't able to reach what would would DEF numbers represent. And I didn't quite get how the file functions. I tried to put some extra entries inside of it to try to configure volume, inspired by Vigami's post, but that was just shooting in the dark, it did nothing, and I probably didn't do it well.

Do you have any tips on how to start experimenting with the HDAICOUT, anything I could enter inside, that would give me some kind of result, so I could build on it? Does it need to have all those entries (as in your file I'm using), or those are just to cover as many posibilities / codecs? Are the comments after the semicolons just comments, or they do something?

Also, do you have an idea how much effort could it be, what are the chances for a result? Maybe it's easier route to try to disconnect the modem phisically, and play with HDACFG?

Appologies for this collection of questions, this is fun to do, but also really far above my expertise level!

My suggestions can be (re)grouped in following way:

• General stability of Windows 9x: numbers 3, 4b, 5a, 5b and 9
    • suggested to @daguil :
      - less hardware (video) acceleration - in Device Manager
      - if-all-else-fails: installation without plug and play bios, so SETUP /p i (watch the space in between in /p i)
  • Stability with HDA2.DLL: numbers 1, 2, 4a, 4c, 4d (together with use of 'SMARTDRV .EXE /X /L /V /B:57344')
    • suggested to @daguil :
      - not using EMM386.EXE
      - enabling virtual memory
      - change in Device Manager role of this computer to Networkserver
      - set slider of read-ahead buffer of hard disk to max (64 KB)
  • Targeting the HDA-controller: numbers 6a, 6b and 6c
  • Targeting HD-Audio quality: numbers 7 and 8
    • suggested to @daguil :
      - updating DirectX to latest supported version

About your questions related to HDA-verbs: most can be answered by reading parts of this whole thread A COUPLE OF TIMES (I am not joking) :(

On 5/18/2023 at 2:33 AM, sifonium said:

1. Changing the HDACFG.INI basically does nothing in my case, since it's aimed at the wrong device (the modem). Only the HDAICOUT.HDA file communicates between the HDA driver and the HDA codec to configure the hda device - simply put. Is that correct?

Yes.

2. HDAICOUT.HDA - it sends all the configuration messages / verbs to the HDA codec/device - power up, inputs, outputs, volume control,.. Right? As far as I managed to reach, these verbs consist of $ABCDEFGH, where A is codec index (in my case 0), BC is the Widget (or the Node?) to address, and GH is the value to assign to that address. Is that correct? And excuse my poor terminology.

I wasn't able to reach what would would DEF numbers represent.

Please read again my explanation to @Vigami , you missed some points.

Do you have any tips on how to start experimenting with the HDAICOUT, anything I could enter inside, that would give me some kind of result, so I could build on it? Does it need to have all those entries (as in your file I'm using), or those are just to cover as many posibilities / codecs? Are the comments after the semicolons just comments, or they do something?

My quasi-universal HDAICOUT.HDA is sending a few SET-verbs to ALL specified Widgets. Widgets ignore verbs they are not programmed for. So with help of the datasheet of AD1981HD you can try to find out which verbs are really necessary on your system, making your own version.

Sadly this datasheet gives no specification of widget-functions (with the bits involved), so it will be hard to find out the more specific verbs. Example: likely your laptop is using an external amplifier which probably needs access to the EAPD-function inside AD1981HD (EAPD means External Amplifier Power Down). EAPD is once tackled in this thread (with @sweaterfish ).

Also, do you have an idea how much effort could it be, what are the chances for a result? Maybe it's easier route to try to disconnect the modem phisically, and play with HDACFG?

I insist: this is not a good idea.

While preparing my answers to you question I found an interesting note about AD1981HD:

image.thumb.png.5b6423f727ff8c80afdb5e093a56aed6.png

Source: https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1981HD

So experimenting with BIOS setting and thee three versions of HDA2.DLL ('J', 'K' and 'L') is still an option

However I found another route to force HDA2.DLL to use the right 'Codec Index'. According to Watlers post version 'L' has this function onboard. See: http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?p=202280&sid=c68fab43b7aea22ff8956de23674c058#p202280

Your current PCI-specs in HDACFG.INI are:

[HDA_284B8086,30C8103C]
PCI_BUS=$00
PCI_DEVICE=$1B
PCI_FUNCTION=$0

The new section of version 'L' looks like this (empty values):

[HDA]
PCI_BUS=$
PCI_DEVICE=$
PCI_FUNCTION=$
SEARCH=FALSE

You used already INTELHDA.EXE. The print-screen you uploaded to your Google Drive suggest some values:

image.thumb.png.75395e70698dd6351ac3dcf3a47a73bd.png

So FIRST try following:

[HDA]
PCI_BUS=$0
PCI_DEVICE=$27
PCI_FUNCTION=$0
SEARCH=FALSE

I suggest to insert this section just above section [HDA_284B8086,30C8103C] with one empty line between them.

I would like to see your HDACFG.INI together with HDALOG.TXT.

Addendum:

Also possible is to change lines inside in your current HDACFG.INI only. I can't reproduce anything on Virtual Box 7: HDA2.DLL always addresses 'Codex Index' 0

[HDA_284B8086,30C8103C]
cardmemregistersLO=$4000
cardmemregistersHI=$E454
Mytimer=1
Verbinterface=$1
wait1=$100
wait2=$100
pcipatchB=$0000
PCI_BUS=$00 or $0 ?
PCI_DEVICE=$27
PCI_FUNCTION=$0
or $00 ?