WXP without IE, OE and WMP

OK, eventually I have to admit it's better to leave IE there... I'm getting trouble upgrading diskeeper... (which is probably only one of many...)

==> IE should NOT be removed

I've heard you'd get trouble viewing clips online if you don't have WMP installed

==> WMP should NOT be removed

No one says you could get trouble by removing OE.

==> OE can SAFELY be removed

if you don't agree with above, reply why

thank you all for figuring this out!

Now I've got another problem: I used Jdeboecks removing-scripts, without trouble , made the ISO and tested it in VPC. For the record: I didn't remove IE, OE or WMP this time. Only gamecontrollers images, moviemaker, windows messenger, netmeeting, games, etc. NO drivers

When windows boots there are problems with rundll32.exe:

[rundll32.exe - Can't find part]

This application can't be started because framedyn.dll can't be found. Reinstalling this apllication can solve the problem

[OK]

I click OK

[RUNDLL]

There has been a fault while loading srclient.dll

Can't find the stated module.

[OK]

I click OK

What can I do to solve this? And what's causing this problem?

OK, eventually I have to admit it's better to leave IE there... I'm getting trouble upgrading diskeeper... (which is probably only one of many...)

The release build of Diskeeper doesn't play nicely with any installs where IE isn't the default browser. They released a patch to fix that problem (and it can be slipstreamed into the Diskeeper installer so you don't have to apply it later).

• 1 month later...
How can I set up MSN messenger to look for e-mails with Mozilla???

Now I've removed IE, OE and WMP, I won't have to install the hotfixes for them anymore, right?

hide OE by default using oeaccess=off, to increase security. You really shouldn't mess with IE since many different programs expect it to be there and won't work if it's missing.

-gosh

First of all, to answer Bâshrat's question: AFAIK, when you specify IEAccess etc, you are NOT removing the fundamental component of Internet Explorer and therefore you still need to apply the hotpatches because they apply mostly to the underlying framework that you aren't removing and not the superficial IE overlay.

This is different for OE, and I'm not sure about WMP, never seen it in action.

Anyway, gosh, do you have any examples of programs that don't work well when IEAccess=Off is set? Bâshrat mentioned diskkeeper but that appears to be an isolated incident.

hmmm, looking for the framedyn.dll fix now...I used to get it and cant remember how I fixed it

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;319114

and for srclient - it stands for system restore client, so there is something youre installing that utilizes system restore and you must have SR disabled...i would check and if youre doing an unattended make sure that anything you install doesnt rely on SR, if it does, use the swicthes to find out how to bypass SR (wmp is the only thing I know of that uses SR while installin, but there could be others).