Too much resouces..

roger04

When a program loads at startup it uses much resources e.g 15MB. Then when I open it and minimize to taskbar it goes straight to about 2MB of mem usage. This happen to programs that start minimized to taskbar e.g my Agnitium firewall, MSN Messengerand AVG Anti-V software. Why is this? Can someone psl explaint o me and help solve :) .

Thanks!

It could be from the fact that your computer no longer needs to draw the window of the program, thus saving ram. Also, the program may enter a "passive" state where it is not actively accepting input unless you right-click it's icon. This is a normal behavior of Windows.

I dont really kindda get what u mean Datalore, sorry. IS tehre any possiblity to like make the window open automaticaly then close for the reason? How do I save unused RAM??

BTW, my explorer.exe is taking up 27MB of RAM :) . My programs r taking so much resources. WHy?

:rolleyes:

do u have sp2?

do u have lots of icons on desktop?

the computer i'm on right now is using 13mb, my laptop uses more...

datalore is actually right. lets put it this way

i'm sure u've realized or seen that when u have a program with graphics on it it tends to run slower then the ones that don't have it

so for example write a program and put a fancy graphics tool on it, execution time will increase, why bc it takes up more resources. takes from cpu, takes from ram, takes from graphics card memory. so when u don't use an app u can minimize it.

u'll experience this more on slower machines.

ok easy test

open media player with a fancy visualization(play and mp3 or whatever), look at the usage

now either change it to skin mode or minimize it to taskbar..

now look at the usage. see the difference

but this might not be the only reason. there are billions of components that effect the mem usage.

u can get mem optimizers but i often find them to kill my ram instead of optimizing...

Thanks XMac,

I was actually asking more to the question why prog loads to taskbar seems to take a lot of mem usage but if lauched the window it self not to taskbar and then close it to taskbar, the mem usage will go down. I dont understand why is this the fact? Is the any updates/fix/tweak should I do?