Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Mark7ones

How to install Windows 7 from USB 3.0?

On 10.2.2018 at 2:48 PM, jaclaz said:

Is it possible (and if yes, how) replace the wdfldr.sys 1.9 with a newer one?

Is the "newer" backwards compatible with the wdfldr.sys 1.9?

If the wdf driver is not backward compatible, there had been messages in the meantime. 
It's safe to assume, works in real world, is  backward compatible.

I added wdf01000.sys and wdfldr.sys at a BartPE plugin. wdf01000.sys is loaded at boot time. And wdf01000.sys chainloads wdfldr.sys.
This boot approach is uesd  at Windows 7 still. 
Poor mans choice: Add a 1.11 wdf01000.sys and wdfldr.sys to boot.wim.

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

There are updated for KMDF and UMDF v1.11 for Windows 7 32bit and 64bit (MSU package)

Thanks for the hint. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2685811/kernel-mode-driver-framework-version-1-11-update-for-windows-vista-win
This download works currently: User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38421

Did you used a Fresco or VIA USB3.0 controller in the past?

@Mark7ones
Do you use a USB keyboard and mouse? Do you use a USB 2.0 port for USB keyboard and mouse?

I wouldn't be surprised if I had, but some other thing in the past had required me to use those packages. Occassionally I run into their requirement, just yesterday I had to build a WES7 image on an Asus H110M-C that needed them to be added. I believe it was needed for the Realtek audio, but I'm not entirely certain as I also added (Intel) drivers for video, hdmi audio, Smbus, heci and SOL.

On 10.2.2018 at 3:18 PM, Mark7ones said:

Setup:

1) Working driver:

[xHC_wdfsect]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.9

2) Not working driver (downloaded from Gigabyte):

[xHC_wdfsect]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.11

The second driver is for Windows 8, also compatible with Windows 7 but not usable during setup.

VIA released  Windows 7 drivers Version 5.20a. The newer driver package use the old Kmdf again.
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2866&lang=en

DriverVer=02/03/2016,6.1.7600.5201

[VIA.NTAMD64]
; DisplayName      Section      DeviceId
; -----------      -------      --------
%XHC.DRVDESC% = xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_9202
%XHC.DRVDESC% = xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_9201
%XHC.DRVDESC% = xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3432
%XHC.DRVDESC% = xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3483
%XHC.DRVDESC% = xHC_Inst, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3515

[xHC_wdfsect]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.9

Try the VIA  5.20a USB drivers.