Batch file for installing downloaded Server 2008 updates in succession

DeathBlow

Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum for this, but I was wondering if there was a simpler way to install the 8 month backlog of Server 2008 updates that can be applied to Vista (in my case the x86 versions) that are offered in the above thread's repository, namely a batch file or tool available that means I don't have to double click, OK and then restart at nearly every security update I manually install. 

Thanks.

Welcome to MSFN!

You actually don't need to restart after installing every single update. Just simply click "Close" and just install the next update in the list, and keep doing that until all the updates are installed, then restart.

However in your case, since you're having to install all 8 months worth of updates, you can simply create a batch script (.bat) in Notepad to manually install all of the updates at once. However, it does take quite a long time to create the first time around (Microsoft makes nothing easy when it comes to installing updates...), and you'll have to add to the batch file yourself each month when a new set of updates become available if you plan to use it again in the future.

To silently install an update via the command line, here's what the command should look like (replace "%UpdateLocation%" with the full path of the update's location, and "Update_Name" with the update's filename): 

wusa.exe "%UpdateLocation%\Update_Name.msu" /quiet /norestart

To install multiple updates, just start a new line in Notepad for each individual update and use the same command listed above for each update. When done, save the file as a .bat file and right click on it and choose "Run as administrator" to install the updates silently.

As a matter of fact, I made a script like this to install Server 2012 updates on Windows 8, back when I was using that OS. For reference, here's what the file looks like in Notepad:

_XwkOKHZRjaXpuE1BQTgGA.png

However, the problem is that it's not really useful unless you're reinstalling Vista or you're updating it all the way from April 2017 to now, since you have to manually add one update at a time.

Alternatively, you could try using WSUS Offline Update. I've personally never used it myself but I've heard nothing but positive things about it. The latest version should allow you to download Windows Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista, but as for installing them, I'm not really sure how to do it since like I said, I've never taken the time to use the tool and learn more about how it works. 

Anyway, I hope I helped, and good luck!

Edited by WinClient5270

You're welcome! :)

I should also mention that temporarily disabling User Account Control would be a good idea before running the script, otherwise you'll get a prompt for every single update before each one installs, which is very annoying to deal with. 

To disable UAC:

1. Open User Accounts. To do this, click the start button, type "accounts" in the Start Search box, and then click "User Accounts" in the Programs list.

2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

3. Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box, and then click OK.

4. Restart the computer. Now you should be able to run the script without getting tons of annoying prompts.

Edited by WinClient5270