Disable services list/program?

kobe

For win7 existed the web of Black Viper which had an useful list of services that could be disabled. Even one guy made this awesome program that applied those configurations.

Is there any list (with its reg file) or software that has predetermined list to disable services for windows 10?

Thanks you

I haven't seen anything on the same lines as the old lists of services that can be disabled, but most of the qualified guys here will tell you google O&O ShutUp10 which will list and allow you to disable 90% of the phone home / telemetry stuff in Win 10.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Got that myself on my test box and it did show me several deeply hidden telemetry services which I had not disabled via normal settings.

Is that what you are after?

• 2 weeks later...

As an extra layer of protection to shut out Microsoft's spying you could blacklist (via DNS) a list of Microsoft servers such as the following.

(Bear in mind this list is accumulated from many sources over time, and I find it to work for me; since none of us does the same things it might block something that you find important or rely upon; be careful.  I offer no guarantees that it's complete, but it's a good start.)

• ac3.msn.com
  • blu405-m.hotmail.com
  • bn2-s.gateway.messenger.live.com
  • bn2.skype.msnmessenger.msn.com.akadns.net
  • choice.microsoft.com
  • choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net
  • client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com
  • cm.ac3.msn.com
  • compatexchange.cloudapp.net
  • corp.sts.microsoft.com
  • corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
  • cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
  • diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
  • feedback.search.microsoft.com
  • feedback.windows.com
  • i1.services.social.microsoft.com
  • i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  • iecvlist.microsoft.com
  • ieonline.microsoft.com
  • m.hotmail.com
  • pre.footprintpredict.com
  • r20swj13mr.microsoft.com
  • s.gateway.messenger.live.com
  • settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
  • spynet2.microsoft.com
  • spynetalt.microsoft.com
  • statsfe2.update.microsoft.com
  • survey.watson.microsoft.com
  • watson.live.com
  • watson.microsoft.com
  • wdcp.microsoft.com
  • wdcpalt.microsoft.com

(wildcarded entries follow; these cannot be done in hosts)

• a-*.a-msedge.net
  • *settings-win.data.microsoft.com
  • *telemetry*microsoft*
  • *smartscreen*Microsoft*
  • *vo.msecnd.net
  • vortex*
  • *vortex.data.microsoft.com
  • *vortex-win.data.microsoft.com

The above excludes Microsoft but isn't really a complete approach in the grander sense...  If you browse online, lots of people try to track your browsing, send you cookies, try to run things on your system...  Those are invasions of privacy too.

I personally have, at the moment, 57,000+ blacklisted individual server names and 22,000+ blacklisted domains (wildcarded URLs) that no system on my premises is allowed to visit.  As a result, nobody tracks me or sends me ads and my browsers will simply not visit many bad sites.  My lists evolve daily based on online sources of anti-ad/anti-tracking/anti-malware blacklists.

I use a specially crafted version of the open source package Dual DHCP/DNS Server to be able to override DNS requests locally.

For more on blacklisting by locally resolving DNS see my posting at the following...

http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/post/2284/thread

-Noel

Thats interesting. For blocking in the HOSTS file I use the program named Destroy Windows Antispyware which adds a some domains to it.

You said you have your own lists with a ton of blocked things but... How do you do this? I mean, you dont add them manually, right? It has to be some sort of automation.

About the services, my original question, I ended up going to Black Viper's web, which I thought it was offline but for some reason my DNS servers couldnt access it so I used google's temporally. Since there is no program I ended up making a couple of regs copying his lists in excel and some work. The only problem is that you cant just import them in regedit since it needs some special permissions.