question about removing IE

im newb ere so go easy :D but i was wunderin if u use the slimin down pack the batch files 1 if u remove ie6 does winblows update still work also will xp still be get the internet explorer exploits ? (eg the chm exploit n such) when view certain websites ? as when sp2 finally arrives i want shot ov iehell6 n wmp8-9 n moviemaker1-2 n messenger n all the other useless *$&% that m$ shove in :) if can be done :rolleyes:

try speaking normally first and we might be able to understand you better...

you can remove internet explorer and still leave windows explorer, but you will still be affected by the security exploits? i am unsure but just make sure you have all the critical updates on your xp cd (svcpack.inf)

I don't see why windows update won't work.. you don't have to do it through internet explorer?

Crusher,Apr 8 2004, 08:13 AM] I don't see why windows update won't work.. you don't have to do it through internet explorer?

Of course you cannot visit windows update via something else than IE :)

But even if you still remove Internet Explorer, Explorer.exe will still act as a Internet browser, and yes, the exploits will still be there, so you need IE to patch it up because Only Internet Explorer can access Windows Update.

iexplorer.exe and explorer.exe certainly are different. :)

If you "remove" IE, you'll be rid of everything in the Program FIles\Internet Explorer directory. You can still launch explorer.exe and type a web address into its address bar to access web pages, including Windows Update. IE's security holes are still there and still need to be patched.

NOOOOOOOOOO  :)  im so sick of ie tho  :rolleyes: on i side note i thought m$ has to create a xp with no ie6 or wmp included coz of that big a** fine they got ?

I don't know about no IE6, but I know that in Europe, they are being sued for "monopolism" for building WMP into it. I Think also Real is suing them for that. IMO, it's not really wrong for MS to install WMP, otherwise people will think that XP is incomplete, and maybe they don't know where to install a media player. It's just there if you want to use it, if not, get another media player. I doubt that edition even came out, I don't even know the results(if any). And even if it's out, I doubt you'd be able to get it legally, probably of the licensing.