Interesting OSOT Windows Tweaker Tool by VMware Labs Promises to Lean Systems Down

NoelC

VMware Labs has published a beta tool that identifies a whole lot of things that can be optimized in your running Windows system.  And it's not just for Windows 10.  Its focus is on optimizing VMs for production use but it works on hardware systems too.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-os-optimization-tool

I ran it and found that I've already hit most of the things it tweaks, but if nothing else an interesting source of ideas (and a validation that I'm not the only one who would like to distill Windows down to only the "to work" items.  If you tell it to it will even remove all Apps, the Windows Store, Cortana, OneDrive, etc.

Just running it to analyze your system is trivial, but if you cannot restore your system easily, I recommend reading each and every line VERY CAREFULLY and understanding what it does before giving it the go ahead to Optimize.

Notably the tool advertises the ability to easily restore things it has optimized out, but I'd still be careful.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 9/14/2016 at 1:08 PM, NoelC said:

VMware Labs has published a beta tool that identifies a whole lot of things that can be optimized in your running Windows system.  And it's not just for Windows 10.  Its focus is on optimizing VMs for production use but it works on hardware systems too.

-Noel

Win 10 Running it after your script been applied several months everything was much faster applying all.

Just done a fresh install without running your script first it gets some of the APPS but leaves a lot of APPS and gets some FAILED items about 48 things from 280 items guess that not too bad. Does seem to speed the system up each time though so that's good. Guess I need to show results to them

Overall good find.

Been having Inet trouble nearly a month right after trial that Sphinx but that wasn't it. Finally got the right Tech out here yesterday that fixed it.

Edited by maxXPsoft