Hobbyist reinstalling Win95 on old Dell Lattitude laptop

arrr_beee

...and the Lense. CAREFULLY so as not to disturb the positioning. Tricky operation. Old laptop CD-Rom's are hard to come by and you're lucky to have obtained another. :yes:

There is one thing I would like to add to that. The Torisan cd-rom drives were infamous for going bad rather fast. It's the plastic spindle that moves the laser read head back and forth. It's substandard and wears out prematurely. I have an old Texas Instruments 575CD laptop hanging around that can use one of the Torisan models as well as a Matsushima model. The two Torisan cd-rom drives that I had bit the dust fairly quickly, while the only Matsushima cd-rom drive that I have still works to this day. I got the Matsushima drive from a TI-570CD laptop. Maybe look at some of the older laptop models if there are any and see if one of them uses a compatible Matsushima drive.

Edited by eunderhill

@eunderhill - Did you miss this part?

I found a source for the CD on good ol’ Ebay. I went through several before getting one installed without breaking it. They’re cheap and plentiful.
Stop pointlessly bumping. The problem is solved (see quote).

Normally, I would just ignore such a post as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. However, I decided to point rule # 9.

Per Rule #9. Do not bash old topics when a member has made it active again; it's been made active for a good reason: to answer an unanswered question, or to bring up new information. It does not need to be closed or deleted.

In this particular case, I was just adding some info on Torisan drives and an alternative drive brand that others besides the OP may find useful, especially people searching for info on such drives.

Edited by eunderhill

:lol:

Well, then, let's clarify.

Torisan=Sanyo

Matsushima=Panasonic

If it fits and connects the same way it will probably work.

That is, once you install an entirely different Driver. (See? I helped. ;) )

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/131499

And I never said close it or delete it.

Nice of you to be thinking of non-MSFN people Googling for a solution, though. :w00t:

Edited by submix8c