What's Starting the Settings App a few minutes after Logon?

NoelC

I have Big Muscle's Aero Glass beta, which pops open a debug window for ApplicationFrameHost.exe.

This happens a few minutes after I log on.  I figured out that the Settings App is being started, then left to run in the background, Suspended.

I believe others have reported this happening too.  I might not have noticed it save for the debug window.

What I can't figure is why the Settings App needs to be auto-started at all.  My system is plenty fast enough to start it manually in an eyeblink when and if I need it, and frankly I don't like things running that don't need to be running.  Certainly not bloated, ridiculous App software.  It's bad enough to have to run it at all, but once configured the system doesn't need to be reconfigured very often.

I already have a LOT of stuff disabled in the Task Scheduler, and I've not been able to find any reason for Settings to be started.

Ideas?

-Noel

Thought I did, but had 13.4 and see a 13.5 has been released in October.  Thanks for the tip.  Not sure what else to look for in there, though.  Hm, 13.5 locks up sometimes on using a mouse wheel to scroll.  :(

Over the past months I have disabled a helluva lot of scheduled items, but whatever starts Settings must be scheduled - possibly with a hidden entry - or be built-in to the code itself somewhere.  It starts on a system being left alone after some minutes (maybe 5 minutes) of being booting/logging in.

I just did a little test - it looks as thought it might be triggered by an "idle computer" condition, since I moved the mouse around occasionally after startup/logon for a few minutes and didn't see the issue.  Only after having left it completely alone for about 5 minutes did I see a number of things start, including the Settings App.  Maybe it's a side effect of one of those - e.g. the .NET Framework recompilations.  Edit:  Nope, not .NET since disabling it does not prevent Settings from starting.

I noticed that there's an entry logged in the Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Apps >Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log stating:

The app windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

I guess I'll look again carefully through the Task Scheduler specifically for things set to trigger on idle.  Autoruns seems to show all the entries, including hidden ones, but (unless I'm missing something) it doesn't show things like trigger conditions or last run times.

Note to self:  Need to find or invent an "unhide all Task Scheduler entries" tool so ALL of them can be seen and manipulated through the normal Task Scheduler interface.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks for the ideas, but...  Yeah, I even tried starting Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) that way, but the real issue is that in order to identify whatever job is running it I really need to see the last run time, and none of these approaches reveal the hidden Task Scheduler entries - assuming it even IS done through the Task Scheduler.  Perhaps Microsoft builds their own special version to access those, or maybe it's just a special command line option I don't know of yet...

-Noel

Been there, watched that.  SystemSettings.exe and its App support cronies just start.

Good point, though...  I should be able to tell if taskeng.exe starts.  I'll have to stage that and watch.  It's kind of a pain waiting 5 minutes, though.

Edit:  Left the system idle 5 minutes.  The process taskeng.exe did NOT start.  So now I know where I no longer have to look.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC