Tips on cloning XP hard drive into Momentus XT hybrid HD-SSD

glnz

jaclaz - by the way, with the replacement hard drive, I am having some Event Viewer errors with Windows Indexing (Ci) not working, and a double-mention of bad libraries (suggesting that in Device Manager I should uninstall the drivers for my external USB back-up hard drive and my never-used USB stick, delete the existing libraries, reconnect the two USB devices and run "Find new hardware").

Is any of this related to a changed Disk Signature as you mentioned above?

No.

The disk signature is an almost binary problem, it is either valid or is it not, if it is not the drive letters assigned to partitions might change, making invalid a number of links/hardcoded paths and (if this happens on the system disk) the OS won't boot (or won't boot properly) while if a disk signature change happens on any non-system disk it will just be a matter of re-assigning drive letters manually.

Anyway it costs you nothing to uninstall the USB devices and reinstall them and their drivers, what I would do would be to additionally "clean" the USB stack related keys in the Registry, you are nor the first one (nor will you be the last one) to experiment "queer" behaviour with USB devices (and this sometimes can be solved by simply "refreshing"), see here for some suggestions/tools:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157408-usb-connectdisconnect-delay/

jaclaz