Can new(er) security protocols be added to FF 2.x (TLS 1.1) ?

Nomen

That may be as simple as building an additional module and linking other modules to it or just impossible.

The logical path would be to track down the very first version of Firefox that implemented the desired protocol and compare the sources with the previous version, to find out the implications for the whole code. Then port the changes back to your version of Firefox. Then follow the changes through all subsequent versions until the very latest and notice any and all changes pertaining to that protocol and any linked elements. Then port back the cumulative changes up until the latest to your code. Then rebuild your version of Firefox, provided you can set up the proper development environment required by that particular version.

Yeah, given enough time, will and ambition one may do that. But is it worth it? Can't answer that.

Yes, I've been running Kex for many years.

I downloaded FF 3.6.9 portable from source forge, ran the install executable, told it to install to D root. Then I ran "FirefoxPortable.exe" from D:\FirefoxPortable. A small spash window opened showing "Firefox portable / Portable apps" and then firefox opened behind it. It was my default 2.0.0.20 version, complete with all my bookmarks, etc. I closed that, and dug a little deeper (D:\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox) and ran firefox.exe located there (properties file version 1.9.2.9). Again I saw the portable-apps splash screen, and again it was my old version 2.0.0.20 that ended up running. Don't know how that happens.

I have 2.0.0.20 installed in E:\Software\Firefox\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox (file version 1.8.1.20: 2008121709). Now why when I invoke the 3.6.9 version the 2.0.0.20 version ends up running - I have no idea. ?