New Yahoo

babis

from http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net:

Yahoo! Mail disabled free access to its POP3 service in April 2002. YahooPOPs! is an open-source initiative to provide free POP3 access to your Yahoo! Mail account. YahooPOPs! is available on the Windows and Unix platforms.  This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, Calypso, etc., to download email from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within the realms of legal software.  How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway. It provides a POP3 server interface at one end to talk to email clients and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to talk to Yahoo!

wow, thanks pia

been looking for something like that for a long time now :)

Your welcome. Now how tf do I configure it to work with OE? The help file just says, "If you do, please email us." Outlook settings'll probably work, but.... :)

How you do it is you set the incoming server (POP3) to "localhost" and the Outgoing server (most probably SMTP) to your isp's outgoing email server, which they usually provide you with, and then Outlook will communicate with Yahoo POPS, and it will download your mail, then transfer it to outlook, pretty simple process really

It worked a charm for me :rolleyes:

Blackwar

X-Setup's official site is down for the count. Their Web host (Yahoo!) is apparently being non-responsive? From CptSiskoX: "Yahoo! has some ridiculous policies in place. A while ago they had a Terms of Service agreement which claimed everything hosted on a Yahoo! site (GeoCities division especially) was property of Yahoo! and all creative works were relinquished to their ownership, etc. Public outrage surged against them and they backed down eventually. As I recall, it took them a few different tries to get the wording acceptable to the public. Yahoo! took serious public relations damage from that incident and several others, such as automatically signing all members up for spam and junk e-mail (unsolicited commercial bulk as we all know) and the user had the 'responsibility' to get off the spam lists by changing the preferences (again) even if they had previously said they did not want to receive the spam. Yahoo! has continued a pattern of blunders and has a real bone-headed approach to appeasing their users. It's exactly these type of idiotic, oppressive and offensive acts that cause people to leave companies for competitors." Some are going as far as to Boycott Yahoo! now. http://www.parentpreview.com/boycott.htm

Screenshot of the NEW YAHOO MAIL!!!!!

http://babis.us/yahoomail.JPG

Yeah, looks alot like the Mozilla skin "Modern" :D

I personally perfer the old style myself, or just use my Outlook, either way is fine :rolleyes:

Btw - I notice you have a 25mb yahoo account, the prices are quite cheap in my opinion, you must really need the space :)

What's it like?

it's pretty awesome..

i actually have an account with yahoo.. 5 mailboxes 2 of which are 25megs and the rest are the average ones.. not sure( i think 6)

that's in addition to my old/first account from rocketmail which became a yahoo account...

it's like $35/yr for the 5 accounts (i have my own domain(family name)) so it's well worth it..

besides.. it's easy for the parents to use/understand.... and if u really come to think about it... what's a few dollars (where we easily throw our money away for beer/smoke/etc...)

Speaking of the space.. ya I need the space mainly cuz I recieve tons of attachments.. and I hate deleting email...