Use of Local Account Being Phased Out?

NoelC

Well, I see no reason why something cannot be hip fine without being confusing, deceiving or plainly stupid. :unsure:

But, according to the mouth of the wolf:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-domain-workgroup-homegroup

What is a domain?

• A domain is a group of network PCs that share a common database and security policy. Here's more info about domains:
  • Each domain has a unique name.
  • There can be thousands of PCs in a domain.
  • The PCs can be on different local networks.
  • An IT admin manages the domain as a unit with common rules and procedures.
  • One or more PCs on a domain are servers. Servers control security and permissions for all PCs on the domain. This makes it easier for an IT admin to make changes because the changes are automatically made to all PCs.
  • Domain users must provide a password or other sign-in info each time they access the domain.
  • If you have a user account on a domain, you can log on to any PC on the domain without needing an account on that PC.
  • You probably can make only limited changes to a PC's settings because IT admins often want to keep network PCs consistent.
  • PCs running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 can't join a domain.

:whistle:

jaclaz

Well, I see no reason why something cannot be hip fine without being confusing, deceiving or plainly stupid. :unsure:

I do.  "Hip" IS plainly stupid.  The terms "hip" and "serious, for work" are polar opposites.

The latest Microsoft commercial I've seen for Surface 3 devices has a user interacting with the tablet only a few times, minimally.  The whole rest of it, with apparently meth-addicted people tapping out a loose rhythm on things is as stupid as they come.  Note that they don't show the people's faces.

signs-of-meth-user.jpg

-Noel

The latest Microsoft commercial I've seen for Surface 3 devices has a user interacting with the tablet only a few times, minimally.  The whole rest of it, with apparently meth-addicted people tapping out a loose rhythm on things is as stupid as they come.  Note that they don't show the people's faces.

Sure :) but I think that the good MS guys or their advertisers (as often happens) have a mixed attitude.

It seems like the spot is about attempting to sell a stupid (and stupidly expensive):

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-surface-3/

While using the new Microsoft Surface 3, attractively priced at $499, I could safely say I was getting $500 worth of computing experience. The only problem is that I was actually using $630 worth of computer. That's because the Surface line's biggest folly continues well into the series' third generation. Its all-important snap-on keyboard, really the most impressive thing about the Surface, is still sold separately, and at a premium price.

And there lies the biggest tragedy of the otherwise-excellent Surface line. When you're adding a $129 keyboard cover to a thousand-dollar tablet, it's an added expense, but doesn't dramatically change the value proposition of the system. Adding the same $129 to a $499 product, however, raises the price by more than 20 percent, and you should consider the combined cost before getting too excited about this low-cost Surface tablet.

device as a replacement for a laptop, or rather a tiny 10.8" screen netbook,something that you can normally buy for anything between 300 an 400 US$, since the final message is "The tablet that can replace your laptop", and it is offered including Office 365, so in theory the base assumption is that the intended target ALREADY has a laptop and plausibly he/she has a laptop because he/she does on it things that can be and are often done on a laptop.

It would be consequent that in order to sell this new device one would show how great it is when used as used as a laptop, let's say showing a middle aged, balding accountant sitting at a table in a badly lighted airport bar inputting numbers on the keyboard (optional keyboard that you can buy separately for a mere US$ 129 BTW :whistle:).

Frankly it would be a far less entertaining spot, but what they show in the spot is instead some senseless (or hipster according to you ;)) use of it as a tablet, that would be consistent if the scope and catch phrase was "The tablet that can replace your tablet" :unsure: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Last time I used our iPad's keyboard I was sitting in the front seat of our RV, trying desperately to see enough eMail text on one tiny screen to make sure I didn't leave any customer needing support unanswered for too long.  Took me 2 times longer than it would have if it were a laptop with a decent sized screen (and maybe more importantly, a mouse pad), which again would take 2 times longer than if I was just sitting in front of a desktop system with a few monitors and a real mouse and keyboard.

At least that Microsoft commercial showed a game being played, which is really the only thing such a device is good for.  Gamers and media consumers probably love modern times, though...  They get to play with their toys and watch their videos with the entire industry trying valiantly to convince their bosses they're not toys.  And not to worry; the bosses are distracted by their own toys.  Who cares if the entire business crumbles.

-Noel

Well, among the "portable devices" we have here both an EEEPC and an Acer One, and though they do have smallish screens and a tiny keyboard, they are not at all that bad, when I am on the move I use either of them with very little difficulties (though I do carry with me also a - tiny as well - mouse, as the trackpad is - at least to me - an "emergency only" pointing device).

The biggest hurdle as reported here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172826-windows-10-first-impressions/?p=1098622

on the iPad or similar devices are the accented/specific language characters.

jaclaz