Medieval Remedy Found to Kill MRSA Superbug

Monroe

This is all very interesting ... "1,000-year-old remedy worked 'as good, if not better than' traditional antibiotics". I grew up with knowing older people from Europe and they all grew onions and garlic in their gardens ... they never seem to be sick with the flu or disease in general until "old age" finally took it's toll. I remember a very nice Italian fellow who told me he rubbed a cut garlic bulb on toast every morning ... never had the flu. Probably are many cures from earlier times that might be of use today ... but will the "million dollar drugs" be pushed aside by cheap garlic and onions.

We all have access to onions, garlic and leeks and many can grow their own.

"The Daily Telegraph reported that the recipe, which dates from the 10th century, calls for two species of Allium -- a scientific type that includes garlic, onion, and leek -- as well as wine and oxgall, or bile from the stomach of a cow.

The paper reports that the recipe specifically calls for the mixture to be brewed in a brass vessel, purified through a strainer, and left to sit for nine days before use.

Dr. Christina Lee, a professor at the School of English at Nottingham University, recreated the treatment to see if it could work as a modern-day remedy. To her surprise, it not only cleared up styes, but also worked effectively against the potentially deadly superbug.

The Telegraph reports that the mixture killed about 999 of 1,000 MRSA bacterial cells present in mice wounds. Dr. Kendra Rumbaugh of Texas Tech University, told the Telegraph that the 1,000-year-old remedy worked "as good, if not better than" traditional antibiotics."

Anglo-Saxon Cow Bile and Garlic Potion Kills MRSA

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor

01 April 2015

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11504166/Anglo-Saxon-cow-bile-and-garlic-potion-kills-MRSA.html

Medieval Remedy to Treat Eye Infections Found to Kill MRSA Superbug

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/04/01/medieval-remedy-to-treat-eye-infections-found-to-kill-mrsa-superbug/

Edited by monroe

I remember a very nice Italian fellow who told me he rubbed a cut garlic bulb on toast every morning ... never had the flu. 

But being Italian (though possibly not very nice ;)) allow me to doubt, from my experience, that he had such a rich interpersonal experience with his partner (IF he ever managed to find one).

JFYI, there is a vast tradition here about people who eat early in the morning garlic or onions or both in order to prevent illnesses (but usually they tend to have a somewhat reduced social life).

And, of course  OT, among our comics (not very known outside Italy) there is a known anti-anti-superhero [1], Superciuk, that has the superpower of such a strong /(alcoholic) bad breadth (which he acquired when involved in an incident in a distillery) that he can stun everyone by simply exhaling and when he loses his superpowers, he gets them back through eating the terrible garlicized onion tomatoes! :ph34r:.

alan-ford_humor_alan-ford-n-26-prima-app

alan_ford_corno_0144.jpg

jaclaz

[1] Superciuk thinks that rich people are nice, educated and clean while poor people are ugly, ineducated and dirty, so he resolves to robbing the poors to give to the rich.

Well as I remember, his wife had already passed away so I guess he didn't have that concern. He was a short, maybe 5 ft, happy go lucky type of guy. He would have been perfect running a pizzeria but I don't know what he had done in his early life.

.... just a smiling cheerful fellow when I ran into him on the sidewalk ... like to talk about gardening.